I need to get a vga output from one laptop onto another computer

Rover54

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013
Hi All

I have a laptop that runs Rover's T4 diagnostic software and have been working on a project to test Rover cars over the internet. The Laptop is a stand alone and cannot be connected to the internet as most of the internet clients are disabled with the Ethernet connection going to the diagnostic interface. The diagnostic software runs over Windows XP sp1 or 1a only.

In order to let those see what is happening across the net, I need to get the video signal out from the laptop, either via the VGA or USB and into another laptop that can be connected to the internet. How do I go about achieving this?

You are trying to broadcast the video signal onto the web somehow, or just to a laptop that is online? You could try using a cross over cable betwee the two laptops, setup a static IP on both to connect http://www.ehow.com/how_6364288_use-crossover-cable-networking.html

That will creat a local network between the systems. Then you can connect the second laptop to a router using WiFi, that gets it online. Then use remote access (RDP, the MSTSC program) to remote into the laptop with the software and get the display. This will work a lot better with dual screens so you can have the remote laptop on one screen and the main laptop display on the other.

Rover54

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013

Ideally I need to transmit the stand alone laptop's screen running vehicle diagnostics in London to the person sitting in to car anywhere in the world. Static IP address is out as Ethernet connection on the laptop is in use as it connects to the vehicle interface and all but the TC/IP clients are disabled. The only other output I can think of that has graphics is the VGA. Both laptops also have USB and serial ports, but I don't think real time graphics can be transmitted via either of those ports.