mobo lights on but wont boot

kazza415

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013
So here is my problem. last week my computer completely shut off and wouldnt turn back on. the motherboard lights were still on so I assumed it was the psu and went out and got a new one. my computer worked fine for the last 2 days since I got my new psu but I have also been overclocking my gpu. today while playing games my computer shutoff again and wouldnt turn on. I unplugged the gpu amd the computer booted up fine then when I went to restart the computer to access the bios it would not turn on and still wont. any thoughts to what the problem could be?

Azrael47

Distinguished
you could have a RAM problem, make sure that the RAM is slotted in fully. IF that isn't the case then try booting your PC with one RAM chip, if that fails try the other RAM chip. If this doesn't seem to work by now then reset your CMOS battery by taking it out for about a minute then plugging it back in. unplug all unnecessary USB cables out of the I/O ports (phone charger etc.). Finally double check that all connectors and components are fastened into ports securely, a slight movement can cause a malfunction.

It seems strange that you were able to use your computer and then it decides to spontaneously shut off. You didn't do anything in the BIOS like over volting your CPU?

kazza415

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013

I tried reseting the Cmos battery and nothing the fans will spin for a second then turn off. I had not set anything on the BIOS and all the connections seem to be ok. I alson took the ram out and tried each stick individually still did not help.

kazza415

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013

I dont have another GPU but its weird because after I took the GPU out it booted normally then after I turned it off it would not reboot. I came to the conclusion at first that the gpu was draing the psu but with it unplugged it shouldnt make a difference which is the strange part.

kazza415

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013

shouldnt the pc be able to boot up though even without a videocard attached to it?