How do you successfuly overclock the i7 3770k

Justin Collier

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I have a few questions, ummmmmmmmm, so i make sence....... when turbo boost is on, does that mean that i am overclocked? i used to own the i5 2500, and it wouldnt let me take the cpu ratio past like 39 i think, but when i got my i7 3770k, it is letting me take it up to like 50 i think, but i have it on 49 and im just wondering if thats just how you do it??? i keep getting confused between the bclk frequency and i keep on wanting to overclock that meaning, ill move it from 100.1 to like 105.0. it is on 100.1 right now at default. whats the proper way to actually do it? if my setting is at 49 did i do it? when i launch cpu id it tells me core 0 is at 4.9 ghz, it idols at 1.2 ghz. do people usually set it to idol at 4.9 to truly overclock? ive never owned a nice cpu like this before. i am just interested in seeing how other people has overclocked theirs with their asus sabertooth p67 and maby i can do mine the way you do it. all i want to know is if i used that turbo ratio and set it to 49 and it idols like that is that the right way.

thasan1

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
well since your Bclk is 100 Mhz so 100*49=4900 Mhz or about 5 Ghz. which is really high for that cpu. you would need a lot of voltage to keep it stable. try to lower the multiplier to something like 44. then change the Vcore[CPU voltage] by 0.01 volts. if windows load's and after some stress test it is stable then you got your self a nice overclock.

and don't try to overclock by changing the Bclk as it will just make the system more unstable. and if you have the stock intel CPU cooler then it's best that you shouldn't overclock at all. oh and when your in turbo mode it means the CPU automatically overclocked itself to give your better performance.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Basically easiest way is to raise the multiplier a little at a time, from about 4.-4.2 might then start to have to feed a little additional vCore voltage. You can add extra BCLK but the gains are miniimal and often have to start working with both the VCCSA and the MC voltage as the BCLK is OCing the everything else in the rig also

Justin Collier

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013

thasan1

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
@Justin Collier first of all H70 is a reasonable cooler so you might be able to get 4.5 Ghz if your luckey. and secondly you shouldn't regret getting the 3770K as 4770K OC'es much worse compared to it. and lastly NEVER SET YOUR CPU VOLTAGE OVER 1.45VOLTS, let alone 3 volts.

now for the OC, first you should try and set the multiplier to 43 then try to load windows. if it doesn't change the voltage by 0.01 volts. so if stock voltage is lets say 1.15 volts change it to 1.16 volts and try to load. if it doesn't change it to 1.17 and so on. if the CPU manages to load windows, is stable after a few minutes of stress testing and temps are well below under 70C while testing then you should try for 4.4Ghz. first set the multiplier to 44 then load win. if it doesn;t change the voltage and after it loads stress test it again and cheack the temps. if the temp is arround 75-80C while testing then you shouldn't try for 4.5Ghz, if it is still under 75C then you can try for 4.5, and make sure the temps aren't over 80C while stress testing, if it is just switch back to 4.4Ghz as 80C is quite a lot.

oh and another tip, try to keep the CPU Vcore below 1.35 volts to make it last long.and you should download programs called Prime95 for stress testing[ to ensure your CPU's OC stability] and coretemp or realtemp to check the temps.