apple powerbook g4

ok guys, ive got an old powerbook g4, 2003 15 inch 2.25 ghz edition. its very sentimental to me and do not want toget rid of it, but i want to know how to upgrade it, no matter what i have to do, i already upgraded the ram to 2 gigs of ram, and a 250 gigabite hard drive,, im gunna get a new battery, but id like to know how i can make this work faster, all suggestions are open.

edit: 1.25 ghz, sorry
9 answers Last reply
More about apple powerbook
  1. cookiemeow1 said:
    ok guys, ive got an old powerbook g4, 2003 15 inch 2.25 ghz edition. its very sentimental to me and do not want toget rid of it, but i want to know how to upgrade it, no matter what i have to do, i already upgraded the ram to 2 gigs of ram, and a 250 gigabite hard drive,, im gunna get a new battery, but id like to know how i can make this work faster, all suggestions are open.
    Sell it and go forwards not backwards.
  2. cookiemeow1 said:
    ok guys, ive got an old powerbook g4, 2003 15 inch 2.25 ghz edition. its very sentimental to me and do not want toget rid of it, but i want to know how to upgrade it, no matter what i have to do, i already upgraded the ram to 2 gigs of ram, and a 250 gigabite hard drive,, im gunna get a new battery, but id like to know how i can make this work faster, all suggestions are open.
    Sell it and go forwards not backwards.

    [/quotem
    you must not understand, i dont want to sell it, i want to experiment with it, and i have a lot of money to do so, so please help me and tell me what i could do, cuz i dont want a new laptop, i like this one and will not buy another
  3. musical marv said:
    cookiemeow1 said:
    ok guys, ive got an old powerbook g4, 2003 15 inch 2.25 ghz edition. its very sentimental to me and do not want toget rid of it, but i want to know how to upgrade it, no matter what i have to do, i already upgraded the ram to 2 gigs of ram, and a 250 gigabite hard drive,, im gunna get a new battery, but id like to know how i can make this work faster, all suggestions are open.
    Sell it and go forwards not backwards.

    [/quotem
    you must not understand, i dont want to sell it, i want to experiment with it, and i have a lot of money to do so, so please help me and tell me what i could do, cuz i dont want a new laptop, i like this one and will not buy another
    Go to a web site called 123 mac mini and they describe various notebooks including yours and how to modify them.
  4. In case you have 10.5 on it you may install 10.4 and it will be faster on it. But anyway this machine is to slow for modern internet if you are asking how to make youtube not suck on it(
  5. iskra said:
    In case you have 10.5 on it you may install 10.4 and it will be faster on it. But anyway this machine is to slow for modern internet if you are asking how to make youtube not suck on it(

    the internet and youtube work fine on it, im just wondering what there i i can do to make it not burn my lap when i play videos in hd
  6. cookiemeow1 said:
    iskra said:
    In case you have 10.5 on it you may install 10.4 and it will be faster on it. But anyway this machine is to slow for modern internet if you are asking how to make youtube not suck on it(

    the internet and youtube work fine on it, im just wondering what there i i can do to make it not burn my lap when i play videos in hd

    I've stumbled on videos in HD, well HD is at least 720p H.264 encoded for me and 1.25GHz PowerPC is not able to play it without stuttering. Or you must be hiding something from us.
  7. iskra said:
    cookiemeow1 said:
    iskra said:
    In case you have 10.5 on it you may install 10.4 and it will be faster on it. But anyway this machine is to slow for modern internet if you are asking how to make youtube not suck on it(

    the internet and youtube work fine on it, im just wondering what there i i can do to make it not burn my lap when i play videos in hd


    I've stumbled on videos in HD, well HD is at least 720p H.264 encoded for me and 1.25GHz PowerPC is not able to play it without stuttering. Or you must be hiding something from us.

    im not hiding anything, thats what it is, it makes a lot of noise doing it, but it does do it, sure theres a little stutter, but its watchable
  8. You already did everything you could to this laptop.

    You could probably install SSD in place of DVD through IDE to SATA adapter but IDE bus will severely bottleneck even cheapest SSD and also you will not be able to sleep the system probably and get other stability issues with IDE controller not being engineered for the quantity of IOs that SSD typically gives (I'm having them (problems) on old Macbook sometimes with HDD in place of DVD)

    And regarding that temperature — you may buy some kind of laptop stand to help you with that.
  9. iskra said:
    You already did everything you could to this laptop.

    You could probably install SSD in place of DVD through IDE to SATA adapter but IDE bus will severely bottleneck even cheapest SSD and also you will not be able to sleep the system probably and get other stability issues with IDE controller not being engineered for the quantity of IOs that SSD typically gives (I'm having them (problems) on old Macbook sometimes with HDD in place of DVD)

    And regarding that temperature — you may buy some kind of laptop stand to help you with that.

    ok thank you
Ask a new question

Read More

RAM Apple Powerbook Systems