Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Urgent should i upgrade gpu or cpu first ?

Tags:
  • gpus-cpus
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
July 22, 2013 7:10:20 AM

I bought Sapphire hd 7850 2 gb few months ago....
Now i am kind of confused..i want to play all upcoming games in ultra high settings.So for that Whether to upgrade my gpu to 7950 or upgrade my cpu.Which one give me performance boost??

I play with max 1920*1080 resolution..
MY current specs are as follow
I just want to make sure that if i plan to upgrade my gpu will my cpu bottelneck the 7950??

if so then i can upgrade my cpu first..

AMD Phenom 2 X4 965 processor
Gigabyte -GA 880GM UD2H
1 tb hard drive
Corsair 650tx PSU
Corsair 4 gb DDR3 ram
Sapphire hd 7850 2 gb
Aoc i2757fh ips monitor

Lots of thanks in advance...:) 

More about : urgent upgrade gpu cpu

July 22, 2013 7:21:30 AM

the performance boost will always come from GPU upgrades, if you like amd you might want to wait for the 8XXX series to come out before you make a decision otherwise the 7850 is a fine GPU for most things,

if your dead set on up grading give us a budget and we'll find you something

generally any "modern-ish" quad core cpu wont bottleneck
July 22, 2013 7:22:50 AM

The 7950 won't handle all games at max (you need a GTX770 for that). Honestly you really need to upgrade both.
Related resources
July 22, 2013 7:29:44 AM

sam_p_lay said:
The 7950 won't handle all games at max (you need a GTX770 for that). Honestly you really need to upgrade both.

ok my budget would be for gpu (and same for cpu) is around 390$.
As i am from india here at present price of gtx 760 is around 360$
1 US doller = 60 INR..(Approx.)
so what u guys suggest...and still my main question is will my current cpu will bottelneck any of my future upgrade of gpu..??
July 22, 2013 7:31:13 AM

swords24 said:
the performance boost will always come from GPU upgrades, if you like amd you might want to wait for the 8XXX series to come out before you make a decision otherwise the 7850 is a fine GPU for most things,

if your dead set on up grading give us a budget and we'll find you something

generally any "modern-ish" quad core cpu wont bottleneck

ok my budget would be for gpu (and same for cpu) is around 390$.
As i am from india here at present price of gtx 760 is around 360$
1 US doller = 60 INR..(Approx.)
so what u guys suggest...and still my main question is will my current cpu will bottelneck any of my future upgrade of gpu..??

and i can wait for 8*** gpu..till then i can upgrade my system and can save some bucks for future gpu

July 22, 2013 7:32:32 AM

First of all, in exception of extreme graphics-demanding configurations (like Crysis 3 Very High, The Witcher 2 Uber, Tomb Raider TressFX), you won't notice a huge difference in performance upgrading either the CPU to a 8350 or the GPU to a HD 7950/7970.

But, if you are trying to prevent yourself of the next-gen, or you are a real graphic/FPS enthusiast, the real thing is to update both.

An HD7950 with a Phenom II OC'd to 4,2 will run very well.
July 22, 2013 7:49:54 AM

sam_p_lay said:

I have an HD 7950 and i max out every game. Actually playing Crysis 3 and The Witcher 2.
July 22, 2013 7:49:55 AM

I'd recommend an i5 (2300, 2310, 2320, 2400, 2500, 3450, 3470 or 4570). And a GTX770. Then you'll be able to max anything at 1080p.
July 22, 2013 7:59:48 AM

sam_p_lay said:
delmetor said:
sam_p_lay said:

I have an HD 7950 and i max out every game. Actually playing Crysis 3 and The Witcher 2.

I don't believe you.

http://www.techspot.com/review/642-crysis-3-performance...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/crysis-3-performance-benc...

I have a minimum of 30-32 FPS in "Welcome to the Jungle" huge field. After that, i play with a minimum of 45 FPS and an average of 55~65. That's the reason you say a graphic card won't handle a game?

You don't believe me, who am here only to help the community but you believe brand-supported web-sites? What a weird criterion.
July 22, 2013 8:03:26 AM

You're saying neither Tom's not Tech Spot can be trusted? Why should I (or anyone else) believe you over these sites? I can also link Techpowerup benchmarks, or Tweaktown, Bit Tech etc... or are they all brand-supported too?
July 22, 2013 8:06:36 AM

sam_p_lay said:
You're saying neither Tom's not Tech Spot can be trusted? Why should I (or anyone else) believe you over these sites? I can also link Techpowerup benchmarks, or Tweaktown, Bit Tech etc... or are they all brand-supported too?

Believe who you want, i'm only trying to help.
July 22, 2013 9:01:51 AM

ok guys i am not biased against any brand ..but i prefer amd cause i think they give more performance per dollar..anyways..so after reading these comments i think i will upgrade my cpu first will wait for price drop in gtx 760 or 770 and also can wait for amd 8*** series to be launched.....
anyway guys thanks for your help ..
i highly appreciate it ...thank you again ....
July 22, 2013 9:03:27 AM

delmetor said:
sam_p_lay said:

i have cooler master hyper tx 3 evo cooler..do you think it can handle overclocking of my x4 965 processor ???
July 22, 2013 9:04:51 AM

delmetor said:
First of all, in exception of extreme graphics-demanding configurations (like Crysis 3 Very High, The Witcher 2 Uber, Tomb Raider TressFX), you won't notice a huge difference in performance upgrading either the CPU to a 8350 or the GPU to a HD 7950/7970.

But, if you are trying to prevent yourself of the next-gen, or you are a real graphic/FPS enthusiast, the real thing is to update both.

i have cooler master hyper tx 3 evo cooler..do you think it can handle overclocking of my x4 965 processor ???
July 22, 2013 10:04:24 AM

docxxx said:
delmetor said:

Well, it depends on your case ventilation, your weather and your dust, but it should go pretty well. Just start from 3.9Ghz and test it; watch your temperatures, your system stability and so. From there, keep it adding 100Mhz until you are satisfied with your temps and your performance.

Look well to your processor's safe temps on the web, also be careful on which PSU you use to feed that HD7950; it needs a good 12V+ amperage.

Hope it helps.

July 22, 2013 9:43:25 PM

delmetor said:
docxxx said:
delmetor said:

Well, it depends on your case ventilation, your weather and your dust, but it should go pretty well. Just start from 3.9Ghz and test it; watch your temperatures, your system stability and so. From there, keep it adding 100Mhz until you are satisfied with your temps and your performance.

Look well to your processor's safe temps on the web, also be careful on which PSU you use to feed that HD7950; it needs a good 12V+ amperage.

Hope it helps.

ok thank you for your advice ..will try that...and yea i have CORSAIR TX 650 watt psu ..so i think it can handle that 7950...again thank you..