Report: ARM Processors to Reach 3 GHz by 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giovanni-L

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Its the gigahertz war all over again, as it seems. My S. G. Note 2 is plenty fast as it is. I'm very satisfied by it. The money spent on it proved to be the right choice.

Jul 22, 2013
and as frequency goes up, power consumption goes much even faster... this move by arm will be to intel's advantage. people forget they're both competing with the same laws of physics, only with different R&D budgets and different manufacturing technologies (with intel's being vastly superior in cost/yield, volume, performance, and now(or very soon) power efficiency. ARM's one advantage is better power efficiency (because the chip simply doesn't do as much), so for simple devices it shines. as arm chips get more complex, and faster, intel's already optimized architectural virtues begin to shine, with a 22nm (this year) and 14nm (next year) process technology as ice cream on the cake.

Can't wait till valleyview gets here this holiday season! Valleyview is more like a Core than an Atom processor. quad core x86 valleyview tablet will mark the beginning of the shift to true hybrid devices... and I actually might replace my laptop and tablet with a single device.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
ARM doesn't manufacture chips, they license IP.

You don't get high efficiency by "not doing much". It's measured by stuff like dMIPS/watt and MIPS/watt. ARM processor performance is still going up at a faster rate than intel, while decreasing in power. Creating processors that are capable of 3GHz doesn't hurt ARM at all, and is probably more akin to Intel's turbo boost technology than anything else (higher max performance, but not the typical operating speed or most efficient speed)

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Higher TDP results in higher heat, not frequencies. ARM has been increasing frequency without creating large amounts of leakage every generation. Once they start bumping frequency while consuming exponentially more energy, we will have a frequency war. Some of the ARMs clock nearly 2.5Ghz if I remember correctly, so not to surprising news here.

thasan1

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
im guessing these 3Ghz CPU's are gonna be single core processor, as i've heard somewhere a single core 3Ghz chip will consume alot less power than a quad or even a dual core 3Ghz chip.

yhikum

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
ARM is hardly a competitor for Intel. Are they both aiming to be same devices, even on mobile platform? Isn't it a question of software that runs on both systems? The versatility of ARM is topic hardly answered by Intel in terms of infrastructure. Nor Intel is able to provide different options for system-on-chip platforms. Moreover, Intel domination is limited only by x86 instruction set platform, in which AMD suffers too its own share.

Is ARM going to expand its offerings into PC market? Stepping into high performance market it would certainly mean so. The limitations which Intel guards closely for x86 instruction set will not be able to hinder ARM in the same way. ARM is totally new chip, being cheap and having Android/Linux platform as backing.
Same ARM platforms are currently being integrated in various Asian make TVs, which come with equal or higher performing graphics chips than found in tablets! In case of TV, which can be converted to a monitor it would mean that a whole computer can be integrated in same case. Further, it would mean ready to use Android/Linux platform similar to PC.

Intel does not step out of its boundaries which are strictly defined by x86 instruction set: PC and server hardware. ARM does not have limitations like this. Moreover, ARM is not company that manufactures chips, however is a patent company that sells architecture information to various chip companies such as Atmel or Samsung. Which in turn make ARM chips not only for industrial use, but for hobby use as well! Hence popularity of ARM chips among younger generation of programmers! Beat that Intel!

While it's nice for bragging, I believe the solution isn't to throw more hardware at the issue - rather, we need to optimize the software we have currently. I'm speaking primarily to Android but iOS and BlackBerry 10 also needs some attention in the efficiency arena.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Current phones are more than fast enough. If getting more performance at the expense of battery life, no thanks. I am currently using Galaxy Mega 6.3. Love the big screen and good battery life!!! Used to charge twice a day with my old S2. Now i only charge between 1.5 days with same usage!

artk2219

Distinguished

AMD used to be in the ARM and low power processor and graphics business until 2008 ish, when they had to sell off assets to avoid bankruptcy. Qualcom bought off their mobile assets and engineers and have been using their old IP's since then. Where do you think the word "Adreno" comes from? It's an anagram of Radeon :). The point is, AMD has been in that market before, and they've hired back several ex AMD engineers from apples mobile chip division to work on their new mobile chips. So they've definitely been gearing up for this fight, I have no doubt they can create something new and compelling that sips power. Whether it will be on time however, who knows? Honestly that's been AMD's biggest weakness for far too long. Granted their graphics chip division has for the most part been spot on, and recently the cpu division has been spot on. But in the back of my mind I still remember Phenom, Llano, and Bulldozer, and im sure they remember those very well as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.