Is it a good time to build a new computer?

zephyr3

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Hi everyone!

As the thread title suggests, I've been considering building a new computer soon. My first build has an AMD 965 and GTX 275 in SLI and I've been steering clear of the more intensive video games out now.

I'm looking for your opinions - is it time to build a new computer? I've been eyeing the EVGA GTX 780 for its overclocking potential. I'd like to pair that with a decent proc since I enjoy emulating my old GameCube games (in case you're wondering, I rip them myself) using Dolphin which is rather CPU heavy but from what i've read not multi-threaded. The i7-4770k looks like more than enough; I'm hoping that it has good overclocking potential. I'm also hoping to play new games at 1080p at max settings for at least two years so I can experience all of the great games coming out with the next gen consoles.

I haven't been watching hardware releases for the last couple years, but from what I've gathered Nvidia should be releasing their new Maxwell cards next year. The Intel Haswell line does not seem to be quite a performance boost over the last generation, but does not cost much more either. My main concern is that I'm jumping into this at the wrong time. I know that new parts are released every year, but I would hate to jump in if these parts are overpriced and more than typical performance boosts are expected around the corner.

Ultimately, my impression is that the GTX 780 is the closest to a top of the line card as I'm going to get through overclocking, and it seems closer to the top than previous generations have. That being said, it is significantly more expensive than most top single cards. Without trying to duplicate the tons of other threads out there discussing it, do you think its worth $650+? I would probably air cool it because water cooling would be difficult to fit in an ITX case and would add a lot more to my total.

Here's the barebones plan for my sub $2000 rig: (feel free to criticize if you think I'm doing something terribly wrong)
GPU - EVGA GTX 780 ACX
CPU - i7-4470k
Mobo - ASRock Z87E-ITX or H87M-ITX
RAM - 2x8GB 1600MHz (speed good enough? it's what I put in my last rig too)
SSD - 128GB (fast read for boot, haven't decided on one. Recommendations?)
HDD - 2-3TB 7200RPM (haven't decided on a brand, probably go with a sale)
CPU cooling - H100i (closed cycle watercool)
PSU - No idea, 750W to play it safe? My old rig has 850W but I'm wary of reusing it.
Case - Bitfenix Prodigy

Recommendations for improvements? I'm looking forward to your responses!

Between Oct 2nd and Nov 12th will be the best time to build a new PC.
Get all core parts, possibly excluding video card, prior to Oct 16th!
- There's usually NEW video card releases on, or around, the 22nd of Oct. Sometimes with game bundles.
- If you don't want a brand new video card the Halloween sales will clear the slightly dated stock at good prices prior to the Christmas rush in sales.

You may want to wait on new video card / GPU news but the other parts I would get around then.

Parts that tend not to depreciate and may have demand spike I would suggest getting slightly prior to Oct 2nd though.

e.g. SSD's, HDD's, possibly PSU's, etc.

This thread has some good info in it:
- http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1751482/consoles-future-prices.html

As for the video card, don't compare the prices card-to-card compare the projected performance of your new beast TCO-to-TCO.
- A +$650 video card may only increase TCO by just under +20% relative to another video card that only costs $325 it would however probably double performance, and last much longer, so your system cost 'per day of useful life' may end up being lower by getting such a good video card!

e.g. $1,675 system vs $2,000 dollar system.
- The $2,000 system may provide much better value for money.
- It also might not, maybe get a GX760 then upgrade 9 to 15 months down the track for the same amount of money (give or take interest raised).