Building new system, suggestions for dual graphics AMD?

GammaPaladin

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2013
My old system has been going for quite some time, but it's starting to limp. It's an old core2 duo on a p35 board. It's maxed out at 8GB of DDR2, and honestly I think the SATA controller is starting to fail.

(But I've put a total of maybe $1500 into it over 5 or 6 years and it's been a solid gaming system all this time, so I think I did ok).

My last upgrade was a Radeon HD 6970, which is still a serviceable card, though certainly not amazing. The CPU has been holding the system back for ages but I couldn't see the point in upgrading the CPU to get a few more months of life out of an architecture that's simply at the end of its upgrade path.

So clearly my next upgrade needs to be a new motherboard and CPU, so basically a whole new system. I'll carry my graphics card and hard drives over, but mobo, processor, and RAM will need to be new.

I'm thinking getting a motherboard with an onboard radeon will maximize the benefit I get from my 6970 through the dual graphics mode. But It's been 6 years since I followed chipset and processor specs, and even then I was looking at intel rather than AMD, so I'm more than a little lost looking at the current AMD offerings.

So, what chipsets would I be looking for to accomplish what I'm thinking of, and what would be the pros and cons of such a solution? What's the current "best" AMD CPU architecture, and which chipsets work with it?

As you can see from the way I built and gradually upgraded my current system, I try to build a new system with longevity in mind, so upgrade potential is a big deal.

Any advice would be helpful, thanks!

No motherboard or APU (AMD's cpu+gpu solution) has a strong enough gpu to have a dual solution with the 6970. That being said, just grab a regular intel or amd build and use your 6970 as the only gpu.