Sign in with
Your question

High-pitched noise coming from gpu

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 23, 2013 3:50:42 AM

I bought my pc about 20 days ago it's been working great but 10 days ago i heard noise that speakers picked up from gpu it wasn't under any load and it kept on happening for about 2-3 seconds each 10 min it's not annoying and the sound doesn't bother me i just wanna know if it's safe? i checked temperatures and all and it's all nice and there was no change in performance and it was gone then after about 2 days now it's back again and again the same thing i think it might be coil whine but it just happens at random times the load doesn't matter and it doesn't affect performance so if u could give ur opinions on how to treat this problem
July 23, 2013 4:17:53 AM

yeah i think that but it's strange that it's at random moments not under any load basicly while under load or completly idle it's gonna happen like it or not :S?
also just now i put my speakers away from the case and i can't hear a single thing i had to put my head on the case to head faint high pitched noise exactly like the one on the speakers. It won't bother me at all if it's not dangerous i just want a confirmation that it's not
Related resources
July 23, 2013 4:34:29 AM

Evil234 said:
yeah i think that but it's strange that it's at random moments not under any load basicly while under load or completly idle it's gonna happen like it or not :S?
also just now i put my speakers away from the case and i can't hear a single thing i had to put my head on the case to head faint high pitched noise exactly like the one on the speakers. It won't bother me at all if it's not dangerous i just want a confirmation that it's not

As far as I am aware coil whine can happen while under load or when idle, it might be your fans? There aren't a whole lot of things it could be but computers do tend to make some amount of noise (weird or otherwise)
July 23, 2013 5:00:00 AM

nah not the fens checked they are working properly but it's strange really if there is some lose wire that is making noise why not all the time, why in those short time intervals, don't understand :s
July 23, 2013 5:05:15 AM

I dont tihnk it would be coil whine personally. Sounds more like the speakers are picking up some interference or signal kickback from the GPU/PCI-e lane somwhere along the line. Depending on what mobo you have, the sound chip on the mobo can be situated very close to the PCI-e lanes, meaning that when a signal travels through the lane, some of the signal can be passed onto the sound chip. Just a thought.
July 23, 2013 6:53:32 AM

im gonna be frank and say my mobo is shit it's h61. Greg do u think this is dangerous and should i do something about it condsidering ur right.
here are the rest of the specs
7850 radeon
i3-3220
4gb 1333 mhz ram
July 23, 2013 7:09:01 AM

Evil234 said:
im gonna be frank and say my mobo is shit it's h61. Greg do u think this is dangerous and should i do something about it condsidering ur right.
here are the rest of the specs
7850 radeon
i3-3220
4gb 1333 mhz ram

I assume by 'Greg' you mean 'Greb'? =)

It isnt dangerous at all to be honest. It doesbnt matter wether it's coil whine OR signal interference, there will be no potentially dangerous impact of this. At most I would say if you upgrade your mobo it should get rid of the whine. maybe it's ,just old.

Another tihng to consider, if the whine is coming through your speakers, have you considered checking the speaker cabling? Checking that the jack is inserted properly? Speaker cables tend to be veery sensitive, for obvious reasons, and even if the insulation has been nicked slightly as to expose the wire, this can cause interference. Just a thought. =)
July 23, 2013 8:18:42 AM

without speakers i can hear it but like 1/3 volume and im pretty sure it's not them since as i said i got my pc 20 days ago and the pc before it didn't have any problems with those speakers, yes sorry greb* :D 
July 23, 2013 8:24:06 AM

Evil234 said:
without speakers i can hear it but like 1/3 volume and im pretty sure it's not them since as i said i got my pc 20 days ago and the pc before it didn't have any problems with those speakers, yes sorry greb* :D 

Ah okay, so it is definately sometihng internal, and the speakers just boost the sound. It doesn just sound like your typical signal interference to me. Nothing to worry about unless you suddenly notice smoke billowing out of the case. Then it may be time to worry. =P If I were you? Leave it. Unless you have a burning desire to have a silent PC chances are you wont even notice it after awhile. =)
July 23, 2013 9:01:11 AM

well i have warranty on full pc part individually so i guess im safe if something goes wrong , tho since speakers are picking up the frenquency it says that there is nothing wrong with physical part of config it's probably some loose wire that's causing it i guess ill just leave it. It will disapear like it did before
July 23, 2013 9:01:15 AM

well i have warranty on full pc part individually so i guess im safe if something goes wrong , tho since speakers are picking up the frenquency it says that there is nothing wrong with physical part of config it's probably some loose wire that's causing it i guess ill just leave it. It will disapear like it did before
!