Is this gaming/work setup good?

okayvin

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
Hi

Do you guys see anything wrong with my build?

PSU: corsair cx600
CPU: intel i7 4770k
MOBO: ASUS maximus hero
GPU: GTX 760
RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) ripjawsx 2133MHz

CASE: corsair c70

Is the PSU enough? Will stock cooling be fine with, and/or without overclocking?
I read the mobo features page and it sounded like it had network features so i assume that I will not need to buy a seperate wifi card (and sound card") Is that correct?

I am aware that the CPU is often regarded as overkill for gaming, but I do a lot of multitasking and I can obtain one at $275 no taxes.

And lastly, do you have any recommendations for a HDD?

Thanks!

Get a cheaper board.
Get a 120gb SSd for the OS and a 1tb 7200rpm drive for everything else.

You do not need a sound card.

The PSU is fine. I would get a TX/HX/AX unit though. The CX line is the bottom for corsair and they aren't the best.

Grab down your ram to 2x4gb 1600mhz. You don't need 16gb of ram for gaming.

Grab the XFX 550w psu. Much higher quality than that low-quality CX stuff.

Drop down to an i5 still.

Drop down your motherboard to an ASRock Z87 Extreme6.

Upgrade your gpu to a 770.

SNA3

Honorable

1- The power supply is good , but you better get a 750 Watts if you want to add another GTX760 in SLI in the future

2- get a full Modular power supply for one reason , if it breaks , you only have to replace the power supple , not route all the cables again (a painfull thing to do )

3- you will need a cooler for overclocking so buy one .

4- get fans when you need them , test the temps with your case fans and if they are high order more fans

okayvin

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
The reason that I want the 4770k and 16GB of RAM is that i tend to have 3 browsers open at once: Firefox with hundreds of tabs, Opera with another hundred tabs, and IE with a few tabs. In addition to that I have large powerpoint lecture files open, textbook pdfs, and other work programs as well. I easily hit 4GB cap on my laptop. I don't think that 8GB would be enough either.
I'm pretty set on 16GB. And the 2133MHz costs only $10 more than the 1600MHz for me.

I will look into an i5 though and cheaper mobo. If I can get a maximus hero for a lower price than an ASRock extreme, should I do so?

My budget is around 1k for the components mentioned in the OP as well as cooling supplies

Thanks for your feedback guys. I'll look to make some revisions to my build.

g-unit1111

Titan

That may be but it's still unnecessary as Intel will void your warranty on the CPU if they find out that you have been using RAM above a certain speed. If something goes wrong with your processor they will ask you what RAM speed you have been running. Fast RAM is only to be used on builds where you're using the onboard video on your CPU (like the AMD A10).

SNA3

Honorable

no they wont void the warranty, and they cant do it , because higher frequency drops to default CPU frequency Automatic .. so they can never know.

and besides even DDR3-1600 can be overclocked ... Intel cant void the Warranty what so ever.

Yes it can. Intel doesn't recommend anything over 1600mhz (I believe it was 1600, may be 1866 though) and if you say your ram speed was 2133mhz, they have all the right to void the warranty. Besides, when you put 2133mhz ram it will be default to 1600mhz, I believe, and you have to manually go into the bios to set the 2133mhz.
Yes, 1600mhz can be overclocked to 1866 or even higher, but remember that overclocking voids warranty. Even overclocking the ram can void the processor's warranty.

I read that ram faster than 1600mhz with Haswell may reduce the processor's overclocking ability.

SNA3

Honorable

using higher frequency RAM does not void the warranty . they go down to the default CPU frequency.. we all use higher frequency when the lower did not exist. they dont run at full speed , they run at lower speed ....

This does not void the warranty .

g-unit1111

Titan

It clearly says in the warranty that RAM can't be used above a certain speed. The design of the CPU itself places the RAM controller on the CPU die. If you overclock your system, and especially your RAM, if something goes wrong and your CPU gets destroyed, good luck returning it.

SNA3

Honorable

I know the Ram controller is in the CPU. and I am not talking about Burning the CPU . I am talking about theat Guy bying a DDR3 2133 , and using it NORMALY , that would NOT void anything. he is smart and buying the Ram future proof , som in the future he can use them in a faster system ... if Intel finds out your are using DDR3 2133 this wont Void anything. because they wont work at DDR2133 unless he forces them to do so from Bios.