System BSOD overnight at "stable overclock" ( I think )

rchar081

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
So recently overclocked my haswell 4570k processor to what I believed to be stable at 4.2ghz and 1.25 V core. Getting temps at around low 70's with aida so I imagine I could go a bit higher. Problem is when I leave my PC on at night I wake up and it BSODED. Could it be that overnight it lowered my clock too low and it bdosed? Anyways if you could tell me what information I need to give you to solve this problem that would be great, also after work I will try my best to provide all the information I think is necessary. I'm using a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150. I should add that this overlock is pretty stable during the day, runs aida stability test for at least 2 hours no problem, can play multiple games at once with no BSOD.

rchar081

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013

I am not sure why it would attempt to save my CPU though cause temps are low on idle, voltage is also too low to do any damage. If I do remove the OC I know the problem will go away. I am trying to solve the problem while keeping my OC. Thanks for the advice!

Windows can bless you with a BSOD for any darn reason it wishes.

That said, usually a BSOD is due to a CPU or RAM stability issue in my experience. If your PC is sitting at idle over night (i.e. not running a burn test, compiling stuff, etc) and it's doing a BSOD I'd think your CPU wasn't really stable. If it's truly at idle just about the only thing that should be running could be background tasks like disk defrag, system schedulers, etc.

If/when the system crashes your motherboard may reset your CPU clock speeds to default as a safety measure as it suspects your OC isn't stable. I've been running an i5-750 @ 4GHz for a couple years or more now. If I have a system crash of sometime (usually from a game freezing or something) I at times will have to reset the BIOS settings. But that's probably been twice that I can think of in the history of this CPU.

As Smashing Todd suggested though, set your CPU clock to it's default. Let is idle all night and see if you still crash. That way you can rule out whether it's OC related or not.