lines through video

zeus3081

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Hey guys I've been having a problem with my computer.. Whenenver I watch a video on my computer I get some horizontal lines that appear as I'm watching the video.. It doesn't happen all the time either..

I have a EVGA GTX 4GB 680 and am currently using nvidia drivers 320.49.
Now this doesnt happend when I am gaming, just when I watch video which I do a lot of. Does anyone have any ideas.. Does this mean my video card is going bad or is it something else.

Don't think it's the video card, but could be the drivers.
Before you installed the current drivers did you have this problem?
If not, then go to Device Manager, display adapters, and try to roll back the drivers. If it won't let you do that, then download the drivers you had before the 320.49, and reinstall them using the custom option, and do a clean install.

Oh, and perhaps a little clarification. Does the problem occur absolutely randomly, regardless of what you are watching?
Or does it occur when you are streaming a video (movie), or watching a "YouTube" video or other Flash video, or when watching a video or movie on a DVD.

zeus3081

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

It happens when I am streaming mostly. I watch comcast.com on my computer and also netflix and huluplus as well as youtube!

zeus3081

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

A little yes.. I just went back to the 320.18 drivers and I'm having the same problem. I overclocked the card just a little bit in the evga precision x app and when I started playing the game there was artifacts everywhere.. When I used the default clock speeds all of that went away. When I was installing the driver last night.... after I uninstalled everything and totally removed Nvidia files from my cpu... I went onto youtube and I still had the line through the video.. This is before I even installed the drvier!

Am I looking at a bad cpu and a bad gpu? I thought if a cpu was bad it wouldn't work at all?

It's looking like the Video Card, but one more thing.
Have you hooked up another monitor and gotten the same results?
Oh Wow! I just thought of something important. (Of all the things I've lost, I miss my memory the most!)
How is the computer connected to the monitor? What I am getting at is this; is the monitor a 1080P or HD LCD monitor and does it connect to the video card with a DVI, HDMI, or Display Port cable?
The older vga connection cannot deliver the quality of any of the other three, even if using a DVI-to-VGA adapter.
JUST a thought since you haven't mentioned the model/name of monitor.

zeus3081

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

I have my computer hooked to my 52inch 1080p sony tv via an hdmi cable

zeus3081

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

I haven't tried another monitor yet but I will try one before I go to work today

THAT sure does make for super gaming.

I would suspect the card. Don't know where you live but it might be time to call EVGA support and talk to them, probably get an RMA (unless you can return it locally). If a new card has the same problem then it will be time to look elsewhere.
Not familiar with the T.V.; does it have a DVI connection. Perhaps as a 'test' you could try plugging in a DVI cable and see if you get the same problem. Might be worth swapping out the HDMI cable, testing, and if the problem still occurs switch HDMI input and try again.
And, I assume, the resolution is not set higher than 4096x2160; that's the Max for that card on HDMI.
I am going to lunch, should be back in an hour; if you post between now and then I will get back when I get home.
Do, please, let me know what you decide to do. Oh, it doesn't sound like a cpu problem.

zeus3081

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

COOL. I WAS hoping it wasn't the cpu. I did try using another hdmi cable and I got the same thing.. I love playing games on this tv.. Its really nice playing Assasins Creed 3.. I tried getting a smaller monitor before but that didn't cut it for me anymore.. i'll try another monitor and let you know.. i'm heading out to work myself here pretty soon..

I did talk to tech support on the Microcenter site and they told me that it sounds like an overclock issue is the reason the card went bad and that voids my warranty even though I spent $70 on an extended warranty through them for this card!

And you've set it back at stock clock speeds, of course.

zeus3081

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Of course. Still getting those lines though.

Have you tried another card (as in borrow someones) {{Or even purchase one with the intention of returning it.}}
I would say it is RMA time. Microcenter probably won't help you, but is the extra warranty with them or with EVGA? I, too, bought an extended warranty but it is through EVGA.
EVGA support was pretty awesome when I had VC problems years ago, and their warranty says nothing about overclocking voiding it.
(And how would Microcenter know you OC'd it??)
Check with EVGA. They just might recognize the problem and have a solution; or possibly replace the card.
http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/

2 minutes after last update: HELL, they have a 3 yr. warranty stock! You shouldn't have any problems with an RMA!

zeus3081

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

zeus3081

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

They might cross ship, and if they do it will really depend on where you live and how fast UPS etc. delivers.
when I dealt with them the whole turn around took 4-5 business days. Mine had to be received by them, then they shipped the new card.

zeus3081

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

hey thanks for your help.. i have two amd 6870's as back up so I will try those tomorrow and see what happens.. The tv is fine by the way. i was hoping it was the tv but i have an xbox and ps3 hooked up as well and i didn't see any problems there.
I 'll keep you posted after i try the other cards.

Roger that! I am really praying that they work, cause I am out of ideas.