Ouya Devs Reveal Disappointment at Games Sales Figures

Status
Not open for further replies.

godfather666

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
This won't be a popular comment... but I feel that the people who buy Ouya are the kind of people who are either too poor to buy a lot of games, or those who may have money, but also have left-leaning political beliefs that make them ideologically opposed to buying software/games.

So, maybe that's why.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
godfather666, you sound like a religiot but then you have 666 in your name and a religiot wouldn't do that because they would think they'd go to hell just for doing that. So, I'm confused about what you are.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
All this talk about OUYA being an open platform, and the OUYA store being an open store...what laughs! It's even more closed than Android and the Google Play store!

godfather666; you're right, that is not a popular comment. It's also a very ignorant and baseless comment that makes no logical sense.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Enjoy your alternative, you get what you pay for in the real world. The games on Ouya or any mobile are not as quality as the "60 dollar games", and the ones that are of that quality have other pay models which could have you spending far over 60. You could have hit up the Steam sale as well and gotten a dozen quality games worth hundreds of hours for 60. The Ouya is a piece of garbage trying to wave the "we're so indie, we can make mistakes" flag. It released to it's backers unfinished and glitchy, leaving them to beta test a product they technically did pay for already. Many of the designers that released to the Ouya have poorly optimized products they barely worked on, so expecting a "return" is an absolute joke. The only thing that works decently is emulators, and I don't expect the devs of those games are going to be thanking Ouya for helping to rip off their products.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
It's actually a bit of a PITA to hook my tablet (Transformer Inifinity, also Tegra 3) up to my TV. Additionally, there are only a handful of titles that are worth going through the trouble to play on the big screen. OUYA is a great solution to a minor problem for me. If OUYA wants to be successful, they need to get a couple of exclusive titles that are compelling to play. That might require some developer subsidization from OUYA to get started.

OUYA is a wonderful concept that a lot of people like, but the broader market doesn't appreciate. If they want to move consoles, they need to play where the big boys (e.g. XBL arcade) aren't, and do it better than Amazon who is also in the Android market. As it is, it seems like they were expecting the idea to sell the hardware, and it won't.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006

They didn't pay for a finished product. It was quite clear that the first units coming out were *not* finished devices and were intended for developers. It's part of the problem with running a Kickstarter campaign, that people think they are buying finished products at a discount price because they are "pre-ordering" and it's a joke, on them, for thinking it.

wogilvie

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
This is an easy one. Many people bought this thing as an emulator box, media streamer, or just to hack it. Nobody was actually interested in the games that were being made for it.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
1. Many people who bought it bought it for XBMC, emulating old games, or tinkering with.
2. EVERY game must have a free-to-play model of some sort. This gives the feeling of not wanting to pay for games at all. So if a different game gives more fun for the same free, people will just keep game hopping instead of buying one and finishing it.

i just got my Ouya the other day. i just got it so i have something to replace my nintendo wii with for play old video games like nes and genesis. i also like the media capabilities too with XBMC being supported. it does have much now and has a long way to go but it looks promising

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
Maybe as more hardware platforms join this Android eco system, game selections will grow. Maybe not. But i have a feeling, such capabilities are already built into the smartTVs and all you need is controller. Yet not many people are buying simple controller why should they buy Ouya? Perhaps, Android and iPhone games are meant just for the platform it is intended for.

I could be wrong ofcourse.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Or it could just be that the games are rubbish... I've seen Organ Trail - it was part of a humble bundle - and you couldn't get me to play it for free.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
People got the Ouya to tinker around, not as a videogame console. So no surprise sales are kinda low.

By the way, i got the Humble Bundle and it came with Organ Trail. The game is a piss poor port to Android, barely playable. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
2000 sales of tower fall that's not a whole lot of sales very small in fact minecraft on average sells 23k a day on all platforms.
The games OUYA plays are the kind you play on a cell phone as for open platform not so sure about that the graphics quality is just not there the controller is pretty cheap.
Lots of products look promising but look what happens after a while take for example the boxee box after a few years support vanished many bugs where never fixed great open media streamer but no longer has flash support due to intel now it is in limbo after being bought out by Samsung.

I was admittedly excited about Ouya when I first heard about what it was supposed to be. It was hardware and store platform that was supposed to get out of the way of both developers and consumers. Nobody was exactly expecting them to be a charity... but then again nobody expected retail sales to launch before preorders... nobody expected that they would be making a new box every year which is going to cause no end of fragmentation... I guess nobody was expecting a company spouting so many good intentions to act worse than either Sony or MS. I don't think I have ever seen public option swing so quickly from extremely positive to extremely negative.

@godfather666
I think you are absolutely right as well. People who seek alternatives are typically seeking them as a way to save money, not to spend it.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
2000 sales of tower fall that's not a whole lot of sales very small in fact minecraft on average sells 23k a day on all platforms.
The games OUYA plays are the kind you play on a cell phone as for open platform not so sure about that the graphics quality is just not there the controller is pretty cheap.
Lots of products look promising but look what happens after a while take for example the boxee box after a few years support vanished many bugs where never fixed great open media streamer but no longer has flash support due to intel now it is in limbo after being bought out by Samsung.

G

Sure it's very easy to mock and complain about a company and console when one chooses to completely ignore everything that was stated by them. People in recent months have finally started listening that Ouya is not competing with Sony and M$ only because there are other Micro-Consoles that are out now. Ouya is designed to be tinkered with. If there is something you don't like, fix it or upgrade it yourself! It wouldn't hurt for people to learn something. Your giving a BASE system. Not an Elite system with all the bells and whistles.
Complaint: There no Google Play!; It's been done ourselves. Root, Busybox, Google Play, Permanant Save App
Complaint: Not Enough Space!; It's been done ourselves. Use Links2SD, format and mount USB drive, and create script to remount.
Complaint: Game quality isn't at it's best.; Ouya Store has Tegra 3 Sonic IV I&II. Add Google Play and you have the rest of the Tegra 3 Games, and they work perfect with the controller, Nuff Said.
Complaint: Ouya was released incomplete!; Remember the Xoom & Playbook on release? Of course not, selective amnesia.
Complaint: We're not hitting our target profit!; Such is business, there is no guarantee that someone is going to bite just cause you throw something at them. What was the flaw in planning or design if you focus is just profit?
In short, many people and media are simply on a witch hunt. Hazing the newbie till someone else "small" comes along. Others are doing the best they can to keep an open mind.

godfather666: I agree with teh_chem, it an ignorant and baseless comment.

jrstriker12

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
I guess even indie developers have to eat.... it's a good idea to give a platform for innovation, but if your main selling point is free to play games, or games where a large portion is offered for free, I don't see how developers would expect to make a lot of money.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
As a indie developer / self taught student, let me do some math for you.

Cost of XBOX 360 or PS3 Dev kit = $10,000 USD each (20k total)
Cost to update your version on XBOX = $2,500 USD per update
Cost of game submission (as PS3 and XBOX have to approve your game before it can be released) = $1,000
Only operating sytsem of choice for XBOX 360 = Windows Vista and above

OUYA cost of Dev kit = nothing. every console is a kit (I guess you can say 100 bucks for the hardware)
COST to update = 0
COST to submit = 0
O/S to develop = Any, including linux (plus it uses Open GL, which is far more superior than the closed Direct X, go look at Unigine to compare).

OUYA = "Field of dreams". The big 3 are living in the past, along with the RIAA and MPAA. OUYA is ahead of it's time but people expect $500 + $60 game quality, that take years and MILLIONS of dollars to create (and 4 hours to beat). So because the Media and most readers (who have never played it) don't have an open mind, this is what makes news.

I have OUYA. I dont emulate anything adn I think it's great. It's a hundred bucks! They really need to allow USB drives to store my games on though!

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
@jrstriker12

Ouya games are free to try. There are no free games on OUYA.I have at least 10 fun entertaining games and I have set to spend 30 bucks yet. Now are they as pretty as current gen? No. But last I checked I can't get 10 games for under 30 bucks that are fun, entertaining ( the whole point of games ) and a the console for under 100. Expectations.

jrstriker12

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I think that Ouya could provide a platform for someone to innovate and do something different. Even if they are free to try, you've gotten 10 good games for less than $30. That's great for consumers and gamers, but maybe not so much for developers if they had out-sized expectations about making money off their games... at least at this point.

I wasn't expecting huge AAA games.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
And how long has it been out? Calculating sales at this point is pointless. You need to make that calculation after a year of the consoles sales not upon release as everyone is play-testing everything. I went to googleplay to check out organ trail. I wouldn't pay for that either :) The vid of it is unimpressive. I'd venture to guess a gameloft game will do much better (or that type of game-with graphics that actually use the T3 hardware). Organ Trail looks like something from before 286. Colecovision or something :)

Make a good game and it should sell. That being said, this needs to be able to access googleplay store or it won't go as far as it could. Just charge a $1 more for their games or something. They are missing a huge catalog that shield etc will have.

dancovich

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
As it's current price, I think there are people who can only own an OUYA, but there are a lot of "why not" people, those who can buy this console and have a look at it's games even if they already have other consoles.

It's different from an $129 Wii where the games are still expensive. Here you spend $99 and can choose to only download demos (most of them fairly playable). When you do decide to buy a game, it will only cost you between $1 and $15, so it is a relatively good deal to have an OUYA just for the heck of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.