NVIDIA Display Settings Are Not Available?

fudungi

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Hi everyone,

I recently built a new computer here are the specs, http://pcpartpicker.com/user/fudungi/saved/21Gq

Anyway, whenever I connect my monitor to my pc, and then try to select the nvidia control panel settings, i always get the message "NVIDIA display settings are not available. You are currently not using a display attached to an NVIDIA gpu."

Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong? I plugged my monitor which is a vizio 640*480 HDMI capable monitor into my pc with the appropriate hdmi cord into the slots on the monitor and pc. But the problem still persists. Also if this is an hdmi monitor why can i not change the resolution at all?

I also can't play any video games on the computer, would this be because of the same reason?

Solution
Doa parts happen to all builders and tech. In the old days vendors used to burn there parts in for a set number of hours to get the bad parts to fail out.
Today vendor expect a percentage of returns.

fudungi

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

Hmm this could be it, though i'm certain I did that first, either way, if this were the error, would i have to uninstall all drivers and then reinstall them in correct order or something?

NopE start on amd web page get the newest chipset drivers for the mb. Install them and reboot. Then go in under display and video in device manager and see if your gpu is named right. If it says standard VGA try running the newest nvidia drivers from nvidia. If the card not showing up check the motherboard bios rev may need to be updated to fix a bios bug with some nvidia gpu.

fudungi

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

thanks for all the help, i downloaded the chipset driver now and i'm rebooting, i'll tell you how it goes when i come back!

fudungi

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
well i installed the chipset drivver, went to device manager and it did register my graphics card, though it had a warning sign on it and it threw a code 43, and that it was reporting problems

fudungi

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

well, i reinstalled the drivers, got the newest bios, and doublechecked to make sure the 6 pin pci powerplug is plugged in(it is). Im also sure that the card is in the correct pci express slot, and that the power plugs are connected, but i still get error code 43!

fudungi

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

hmm this could be the problem, i will try to adjust the amp wattage, then i'll check out my gpu in case if i smashed it into the motherboard or something

Edit: I just remembered that my gpu came with its own few cords that looked like they fit into the power slot on the pcie port for the card, could it be that i needed to use those cords instead of the ones provided by my psu?

fudungi

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Well thank you for the help Smorizio, but apparently although I am a mere 2 days into making my computer, after some more googling, it is apparent that the card...is dead. It is apparently a hardware malfunction(though the rest of the computer parts are functioning nominally) and apparently this is because I updated drivers or something, i guess i'll try to use the warranty on the card. But other than that, how can i avoid this problem from (ever) happening again?