Why am I still getting lag in World of Warcraft?

Rahj

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Sometimes there are latency issues, sometimes it's fps issues.

According to speed test, I am getting approximately 28 down and 5 up at 33ms while connected directly to modem and while on wireless.

My computer:
Alienware M14X
5.9 windows experience rating
Intel Core i7-2670QM @ 2.20GHz
8.00 GB RAM
64-bit windows 7
Intel HD Graphics 3000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M
Killer Wireless-N 1103 network adapter

Some things I have done to increase performance (I hope):

I turned on all 8 cores.
The video card is set to NVIDIA for all games.
Performance is set to high performance as opposed to any type of energy saving.

I play a lot of games, but the main issue is with World of Warcraft. I rarely have latency issues. I generally see around 80ms +/- 20. In general I will have 60fps. I start a raid boss or large mob pull, I have 6fps. Sometimes the fps still shows 30ish with a normal latency and I still see lag.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is this a configuration issue? Is it an internet issue? If it's hardware, please explain because the card is said by notebook check to be high end mid class card that is capable of high settings for demanding games and the processor is the upgraded i7.

My computer knowledge is fair, but if you start talking about sunny bridges and furry streams you will lose me.

Something I haven't considered is overclocking. Mostly because I was under the impression by reps that have worked on my system that it was the best it could be without installing a solid state drive (hard drive) I believe it's called.

I believe I have an amazing laptop, so I'm hoping it's simply a configuration issue.

Unigine Heaven Benchmark

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/5/m4t0.jpg/

vnet

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
I've seen world of warcraft run on much less hardware with just as good if not better performance, so I dont think hardware is an issue. Depending on how games handle displaying graphics and frame updates to the client sometimes high latency can cause framerate issues, however I doubt that is the case for you.

A possible cause could be an issue with video card drivers, ensure that nvidia card has the latest up to date drivers which in my experience with alienware can be an issue. I have an older alienware laptop with an ATI card, i cannot install any driver other than the drivers provided by alienware which becomes an issue when they stop providing up to date drivers.

Drop the quality settings and see what happens. With that hardware you should be able to play on Ultra settings in just about any area though. WOW can get laggy no matter what the setup but 6fps is low. I've seen that in a much slower dual-core laptop.

Rahj

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
I have dropped all of the settings that were at HIGH or GOOD down to LOW, and I am seeing less lag, but it is still dropping to 6/7 fps at times. While I would be thrilled to be without lag, I spent a lot of money on my laptop to be able to play with high settings, and I expect to be able to do so. Is this then an issue that I need to use Alienware tech reps for?

boostin

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
My money would be hardware/software issue.

WoW is more dependent on your processor. You can have an amazing GPU, but a meh processor and you'll still have graphic issues. Make sure the cards drivers are up date. Is this a brand new laptop? If not did it work better at one point? Do you play other games and experience the same issue?

TRENDING THREADS