Help! I have no idea what's wrong

Jonathan Sifleet

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
Ok, heres the story;

A couple of weeks ago I was switching my case, but I thought I'd clean all my pieces ready for when they go into a new case. I took out the GPU, and cleaned it, opened up the power supply and cleaned the pieces, and took of my CPU fan cleaned it. When I put everything back together it wouldnt turn on. I've recently identified this to be the power button not working, and the PSU had died (which is OK I needed to replace it anyway). I've just received my new PSU, all shiny and new, and now I cant turn it on. And then I thought to myself "Oh wait, the power button is broken", so I've been jump starting it, and everything has been fine, except no matter what if my VGA cable is in the MOBO header (without the GPU and with), the monitor is just blank. I tried this with the GPU, same thing. It's not the monitor because I have tried it on a seperate pc.

Is there anyway I can get the monitor showing something?

Also, this is my secondary rig (not the one in my sig.), here are the specs:

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i3 3220 @ 3.30ghz

RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1.6ghz (most likely 1.333ghz due to resetting CMOS about 10 times)

motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8H61-MX R2.0 (LGA1155)

graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

hard Drives
932GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZRX-00A8LB0 (SATA)

Jonathan Sifleet

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
Also it isn't booting because when I plug a keyboard in there's no light on it (when I press numlock), so somethings dead. It can't be the PSU because I recently replaced it, it cant be the HDD because the spindle moves, it cant be the GPU because when I tried booting I didn't have that plugged in. And I doubt its the CPU, because I never touched that.

Jonathan Sifleet

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013

The old is a "standard 300w zoostorm PSU", and the new is a CiT 550w psu.

Just did the paper clip test on my old PSU, so I might send my new one back, so I can replace what might be wrong.

g-unit1111

Titan

You most likely got a bad PSU to replace the current one, I'd suggest sending it back and getting something like a Corsair CX500 or a Seasonic S12 430W.

Jonathan Sifleet

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013

Why, it turns on, I ran it for like 7 hours, but it doesnt POST/BOOT.

IwinFTW

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
I'd agree with gunit. You most likely have a faulty PSU. With unknown brand names or just not well-made PSUs, things usually go awry. I recommend you stick to well-known, mainstream PSU brands (like Corsair or Seasonic).

Jonathan Sifleet

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013

Well, I can't. Being 13, making money from the stock market, I got done over, I bought all the stuff, for my new rig, and then losing £400 due to US oil going down in value, I have no money what so ever, (£1.20 to be exact), except for maybe sending back my new PSU, which I bought for £35.

IwinFTW

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

There are always creative ways to make money. I'm sure you have old stuff lying around (headsets can be especially helpful) that you can sell, or even old laptops you can sell on eBay.
And I'm 15, by the way. This probably doesn't apply to most people, but I'm working for my parents to earn my money for a new PC. So there's really a lot of ways to make money. Besides, it doesn't have to be a lot. I'm pretty sure Corsair CX series goes to around $60 USD, and they even have a VS series that goes lower. You can earn enough for a PSU easily, especially when you start selling things that add up.