Display Problems and Crash

Kakazam

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Hey,

I seem to be having a major problem with my computer right now and can't seem to locate the problem in order to fix it. Being pretty skint right now I don't relish in the idea of forking out for a new computer part when it's not 100% needed.

However, last night while playing LoL about 30 min into a game, my computer locked up with green horizontal lines across the screen. I rebooted and logged back into the game and after a few minutes the same problem happened.

A few times after while trying to find what could be the cause of this online, the computer would just lock up and green or pink lines/dots would scatter on the screen. After a browse I reinstalled the graphics drivers, which never helped, then I installed a previous version and did not instal all the 3D stuff that comes bundled with Nvidia drivers now. This has since made the PC stable enough to play videos in HD, stream or browse the web.

Since it seemed stable enough, I loaded LoL this morning and made it through a full game. Then tonight, I play for 3 minute and again it locks up and shuts down the monitor with a strange sound from the computer.

Now the interesting part. The processor is a i3 530 which I had clocked to 3.8ghz maybe 2 weeks previously to this happening with a increase of .12V. Everything seemed stable and I was willing to even try push it to 4ghz before this all happened. Even after resetting the bios to default values the PC still seems to have trouble playing LoL.

CPU temps are <30C (even overclocked they never pushed into the 30's idle) and I can't seem to get a reading on my GPU temp off CPUID but when opening the case after a crash, neither the GPU heatsink nor the memory heatsink are remotely warm.

Any ideas on what the cause is? I'm thinking it's the graphics card, yet it's not due to overheating. However I don't wanna rule out it could be memory related due to the strange lines or even a possible PSU problem when trying to play a game.

System specs are:
Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H
Intel i3 530
Nvidia 8800 GT
Kingston HyperX Blue 1333 8gb
PSU - Can't remember
HDD Seagate Barracuda 500gb

It's far from a top end gaming rig, but all I really need it to play is SC2, LOL and WoW.

Thanks for any help, it's a long post but thought I'd be clear as possible in order to get a better repose.

** Update ** - Ran Prime95 for +6 Hours and never had any failures and FurMark for over an hour or so to try and stress the GPU with no failures. However, twice now, when running 6GB of ram on the HCI Memtest, the monitor has shut down then the PC, once with a BSOD saying internal power failure.

Seems like it is pointing to a RAM failure, however I'm still not willing to rule out the graphics card or PSU fully yet. The RAM is only about 18 months old after all.

Any input would be appreciated,

Thanks.