New Rig: i5-3570k or i5-4670k for gaming?

robotdinosaur

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
I'm throwing together a new build! Hurray! But I'm experiencing a dilemma: I can't choose between these two CPUs, as the title says. So, here are my thoughts so far.

-the price difference between the two processors is negligible.
-Haswell is more recent, of course, but my next upgrade won't be until Skylake either way, so the 1155/1150 socket doesn't matter much to me. If anything, I'd prefer 1155 to switch components out easily with my current [Sandy Bridge] setup.
-I plan to overclock (for the first time!!) and I hear that the 3570k is much more reliable for this. I picked up a Cooler Master EVO 212 heatsink&fan, which I know is compatible with both sockets. Will this be enough to offset the generally poorer OC capabilities of the 4670k?
-I've read good reviews of the new z87 motherboards. Again, the price difference between z77 and z87 is, in my eyes, negligible. I'd love to hear some more opinions on both of these. Are the z87 boards just popular for the bells&whistles or do they favor reliable overclocking as well?

So there you have it. Please help me make a decision! Some other things that may influence your suggestions-

-GPU will most likely be a GTX 700 series or AMD 7970
-8GB (2x4GB) G. Skill Sniper Series which I will OC to 1866
-this rig will be mostly for GAMING!! :)

Thanks for your advice, suggestions, input, etc.

kirilmatthew

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
I have to recommend an FX-8320 or 8350 for you. They are cheaper, which means more money for GPU or cooling. They overclock quite far and also newer games are utilizing all 8 cores and the consoles will speed this transition. In addition to this they beat the i5 in any non-gaming applications.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you're not concerned about the LGA 1155 socket being a dead end, then it is truly a toss-up for gaming. But the HW is a bit faster at most other operations:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/701?vs=837

If it is solely gaming you're concerned with... 2 peas in a pod. You won't know the difference with a good graphics card. Since you seem to indicate that this is just a temporary solution until the next big thing comes along... go for the IB.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you're not concerned about the LGA 1155 socket being a dead end, then it is truly a toss-up for gaming. But the HW is a bit faster at most other operations:

If it is solely gaming you're concerned with... 2 peas in a pod. You won't know the difference with a good graphics card. Since you seem to indicate that this is just a temporary solution until the next big thing comes along... go for the IB.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Lord_Kitty

Honorable
May 31, 2013
If you will overclock a Haswell CPU, then the Hyper 212 Evo might not be enough. It gets way hotter than Ivy Bridge, whose thermal problems were already bad.

If you already have a good Sandy Bridge CPU, there is no need to upgrade. You won't see any difference with what you have now in gaming. If its an i5 or an i7, keep it, and put the money in a good graphics card.

Go for the 3570k its a good upgrade
Reasons to go fr i5 3570k
1.4670k is just 10% faster than 3570k
2.haswell produces a lot more heat than ivy. it produces even more heat than sandy bridge-e processors
3.there is no official news that 1150(sckt supportin haswell) would be used by later series processor(broadwell)