Buying the PC in 24 hours, need last day changes and opinions - page 3

147 answers Last reply
  1. Yes I wholeheartedly recommend the 3570k over the amd
  2. enlighten me
  3. paoloandre said:
    i have a dilemma, i can get a good deal for a switch to an i5 3570k, although there is no motherboard yet, do you think i should take the deal? having 8 cores for the 8350, i feel that as much as i want the vishera, would i have more use of the 3570k? or should i just stick with what i have now? i was thinking this could be a way for me to change my motherboard too.

    im looking at this for the 3570k http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z77%20Performance/


    Honestly, I would keep the Vishera if the 3570K setup is not really cheap. The 3570K does have beter single-threaded performance, but in future games, the 8350 will best it, as seen in heavily threaded games today. You won't see a large increase in single-threaded gaming (5FPS-ish usually). You can't go wrong with either though, it does give you a nice excuse to upgrade the motherboard though :3 http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=25356099 If the 3570K is dirt cheap, go for this mobo. Also, go for the 840 Pro SSD as well. Both will get the job done well. Just don't fall for the propaganda from both Team Red and Blue. One of the benefits of 990FX is that it will likely give you an upgrade path to Steamroller FX (Likely with this board: http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=25433464)
  4. yeah that was what i was thinking too, i already have a good set and yes maybe i5 being better in single threads but that doesnt mean what i have is bad, they are both good for different stuff. and the 1155 socket will die right? well, ill do some math later and see where i end up.

    do you think its time for me to go sabertooth? what is its equivalent of mobo that is not sli/xfire ready. figured if im gonna go 680 sli better sell the 680 and get the titan, because by that time im pretty sure titan prices dropped a lot. all of these are future plans, but the closest really is the motherboard :D just brought up the i5 issue because someone offered me what i thought at first was a good deal for the money but as i think about it, is only a short term step forward.
  5. paoloandre said:
    yeah that was what i was thinking too, i already have a good set and yes maybe i5 being better in single threads but that doesnt mean what i have is bad, they are both good for different stuff. and the 1155 socket will die right? well, ill do some math later and see where i end up.

    do you think its time for me to go sabertooth? what is its equivalent of mobo that is not sli/xfire ready. figured if im gonna go 680 sli better sell the 680 and get the titan, because by that time im pretty sure titan prices dropped a lot. all of these are future plans, but the closest really is the motherboard :D just brought up the i5 issue because someone offered me what i thought at first was a good deal for the money but as i think about it, is only a short term step forward.


    You already have the non-SLI equivalent, the 990FX Extreme4 is the cheaper alternative to the Sabertooth. However, all boards (990FX) that have good features such as power phases are SLI-ready, the Titan is still really expensive and you should just get a 780 when you have the money for that.
  6. so you really favor the 990fx extreme4 over the fatal1ty? id like to go sabertooth too, but it costs so much more, that's two 990fx ex4 :D

    http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=25476386 i want to take this now
  7. paoloandre said:
    so you really favor the 990fx extreme4 over the fatal1ty? id like to go sabertooth too, but it costs so much more, that's two 990fx ex4 :D

    http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=25476386 i want to take this now


    Go for the Extreme4 and 840 Pro 128GB for the price of one Sabertooth.
  8. im about to take the 990fx tomorrow and the 7970 within a week.
  9. paoloandre said:
    im about to take the 990fx tomorrow and the 7970 within a week.


    The 7970? That's a downgrade from the 680 TBH and has worse driver support. The 840 Pro SSD is a much better option. You are getting the 990FX Extreme4, am I correct?
  10. yes the 990FX extreme4. really you think it is a downgrade? its the exact same card that we pointed out before, the Sapphire 7970 OC with boost Edition, well im not spending any if it helps, but if its a downgrade then i can backout from it.

    the 840 pro will come but that will be about 2-3 weeks away.


    ot, are you good on OCing? i have been reading some stuff lately, whats with overclocking nb frequency and ht link? and some even say my fsb:dram ratio should be around 1:1 or 1:2 but mine is at 3:14. Also read that nb frequency should be atleast 3x the dram, so mine is 933(1866) meaning i should raise it to 2800? I should be asking these stuff at the OC forum but i understand you more than i understand them so.. :)


    this thread became like can i ask you anything i want. lol sry for that :D
  11. paoloandre said:
    yes the 990FX extreme4. really you think it is a downgrade? its the exact same card that we pointed out before, the Sapphire 7970 OC with boost Edition, well im not spending any if it helps, but if its a downgrade then i can backout from it.

    the 840 pro will come but that will be about 2-3 weeks away.


    ot, are you good on OCing? i have been reading some stuff lately, whats with overclocking nb frequency and ht link? and some even say my fsb:dram ratio should be around 1:1 or 1:2 but mine is at 3:14. Also read that nb frequency should be atleast 3x the dram, so mine is 933(1866) meaning i should raise it to 2800? I should be asking these stuff at the OC forum but i understand you more than i understand them so.. :)


    this thread became like can i ask you anything i want. lol sry for that :D


    Don't go for the 7970, it has a bit less performance and worse drivers. I haven't overclocked an AMD Processor since the 3800+ days. On my 920, I just disable all spread spectrum, adjust the vcore and other voltages (like IOH or something?) that I forgot most of the names, cranked up the BCLK (FSB 2.0 :3) and I got it stable. Use your old overclock settings, now with the 990FX Extreme4, it will be even more stable. 2800 is a living hell to get to. You will need a SATA 6gb\s cable for the 840 Pro, since the Extreme4 did not come with one. You should either have it with the 970 Extreme3 box or you can find one elsewhere. Oh and, don't forget to clean off and reapply thermal paste when changing motherboards. There is also this motherboard http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=25355588
  12. well i really must understand first why it needs to be x3 the 933. lol yeah i dont want to touch the nb freq and voltages unless i know what to do and what i am doing. lol what is the advantage of near ratio of fsb:dram?

    how do i know if it is a 6gb/s cable? well im getting the 990FX E4 for 86$, even cheaper than my 970 E3. :D
  13. paoloandre said:
    well i really must understand first why it needs to be x3 the 933. lol yeah i dont want to touch the nb freq and voltages unless i know what to do and what i am doing. lol what is the advantage of near ratio of fsb:dram?

    how do i know if it is a 6gb/s cable? well im getting the 990FX E4 for 86$, even cheaper than my 970 E3. :D


    Just use the ones that came with the 970E3. Don't go for the 7970 once again. Also, your next upgrade is the PSU to an X850.
  14. alright, ill skip the 7970 then, so its gonna be 990FX (because this is really cheap) > 840 Pro (price of this will be the same in 2 weeks) > PSU

    yeah ive been wondering about the PSU too but really not that important, i just plan on placing a 200mm fan + a 120 in the future.
  15. paoloandre said:
    alright, ill skip the 7970 then, so its gonna be 990FX (because this is really cheap) > 840 Pro (price of this will be the same in 2 weeks) > PSU

    yeah ive been wondering about the PSU too but really not that important, i just plan on placing a 200mm fan + a 120 in the future.


    The VS650 is not really a good PSU TBH. The X850 should come ahead of the fans.
  16. yes i meant after buying the psu, ill get the fans. im transacting for the 990FX today. wish me luck
  17. paoloandre said:
    yes i meant after buying the psu, ill get the fans. im transacting for the 990FX today. wish me luck


    Alright, here we go.
  18. alright i got it and im using it now, but there is this led that displays number, it is called dr debug, what is it for? should it be lighting up while im using the computer? on boot, it lights up and displays some numbers and then it just turns the led off and display nothing. im new to this dr debug thing. lol
  19. paoloandre said:
    alright i got it and im using it now, but there is this led that displays number, it is called dr debug, what is it for? should it be lighting up while im using the computer? on boot, it lights up and displays some numbers and then it just turns the led off and display nothing. im new to this dr debug thing. lol


    It is for when the computer will not boot, you are fine. I can haz pics :3
  20. The Q6660 Inside said:
    It is for when the computer will not boot, you are fine. I can haz pics :3


    that's it? so its just for boot problems? lol i thought it was someting more like of indicator of temps or volts or something during operation. lol

    btw, do you advise me to release my FX 8350 to get a hold on a 6300 or 6350. i could use the cash to help me with my 840 PRO..

    sorry if images are not good quality, im using old camera phone :D and sorry for my messy room, i just woke up, stayed up til 6 in the morning replacing the board and removing the old thermal paste. now im using some local nano silver compound which i thought should almost be the same as Arctic Silver 5, so far so good. lol







  21. paoloandre said:
    The Q6660 Inside said:
    It is for when the computer will not boot, you are fine. I can haz pics :3


    that's it? so its just for boot problems? lol i thought it was someting more like of indicator of temps or volts or something during operation. lol

    btw, do you advise me to release my FX 8350 to get a hold on a 6300 or 6350. i could use the cash to help me with my 840 PRO..

    sorry if images are not good quality, im using old camera phone :D and sorry for my messy room, i just woke up, stayed up til 6 in the morning replacing the board and removing the old thermal paste. now im using some local nano silver compound which i thought should almost be the same as Arctic Silver 5, so far so good. lol











    I would keep the 8350, it will help in future games a lot. Oh and have you ever heard of the word dangerous, it might help a lot :D
  22. hahaha dont worry, the cpu is sitting on rubber matt, no way that thing is moving. unless some kind of mighty earthquake will occur. alright, im keepin the 8350 then.

    okay here's the thing, i just reached my previous OC of 4.8ghz with 6 cores, yes the temps are lower now, but something is bothering me, i reached this speed before with 1.375vcore, now it requires me 1.4375 to get it stable. tried to push to 4.9, temps are ok but the voltage to get it stable is 1.5vcore! that is way too much right?
  23. paoloandre said:
    hahaha dont worry, the cpu is sitting on rubber matt, no way that thing is moving. unless some kind of mighty earthquake will occur. alright, im keepin the 8350 then.

    okay here's the thing, i just reached my previous OC of 4.8ghz with 6 cores, yes the temps are lower now, but something is bothering me, i reached this speed before with 1.375vcore, now it requires me 1.4375 to get it stable. tried to push to 4.9, temps are ok but the voltage to get it stable is 1.5vcore! that is way too much right?


    Might be the paste :P 1.5 is too much, the extra 200MHz is not worth it. I would just go for 4.5 on 8-cores, your new mobo will not throttle, and that makes a huge difference. The fan on the CPU cooler looks like it is too small or just not there :3
  24. that is amazing part on this mobo, it doesnt throttle :D is it worth it if i use all 8?

    but why is it like that, its the same cpu, shouldn't be the voltage required be the same? or it also varies from mobo to mobo?
  25. paoloandre said:
    that is amazing part on this mobo, it doesnt throttle :D is it worth it if i use all 8?

    but why is it like that, its the same cpu, shouldn't be the voltage required be the same? or it also varies from mobo to mobo?


    It varies from mobo to mobo. Chances are, due to your lack of throttling, it requires more voltage to have a steady 4.8GHz. I would use all 8-cores.
  26. you are right, the hassle and the heat i guess is not worth it. i just ocd 8 cores to 4.2.. lol maybe ill try 4.4 if the volts needed is not too much.

    ii want that ssd bad now >:)
  27. paoloandre said:
    you are right, the hassle and the heat i guess is not worth it. i just ocd 8 cores to 4.2.. lol maybe ill try 4.4 if the volts needed is not too much.

    ii want that ssd bad now >:)


    $$$ Tiam. If you have money for the 256GB one, go for that, it is even faster :3
  28. dude that 256 is definitely faster but it is a bit overkill, hahaha im using HDD all my life and i really think the 128 will serve me well, im about a week away from that 840 pro!

    btw, downgraded my GPU, swapped my GTX 680 for a Zotac GTX 670 with stock 954 clock and the boost is awesome, it overwhelms the previos clocks of my 680! the deal was my 680 for his 4month old 670 + 70$. that is a great deal for me and i believe you like it too. now i know what the boost thing you were looking for, right now i only OCd it to +130 offset and +500 memory and its perfect. tomorrow maybe ill try to find its limits. but at stock clock, it is still and overkill for the games i play. lol

    haven't been on here lately
  29. paoloandre said:
    dude that 256 is definitely faster but it is a bit overkill, hahaha im using HDD all my life and i really think the 128 will serve me well, im about a week away from that 840 pro!

    btw, downgraded my GPU, swapped my GTX 680 for a Zotac GTX 670 with stock 954 clock and the boost is awesome, it overwhelms the previos clocks of my 680! the deal was my 680 for his 4month old 670 + 70$. that is a great deal for me and i believe you like it too. now i know what the boost thing you were looking for, right now i only OCd it to +130 offset and +500 memory and its perfect. tomorrow maybe ill try to find its limits. but at stock clock, it is still and overkill for the games i play. lol

    haven't been on here lately


    The 840 Pro will amaze you :P I can haz pics :3? The GTX 670 is only a bit worse than the 680.
  30. well i tried to OC it and this is my preferred clock, it goes as high as 1102/1914 but just to be sure.

    used this guide from top to bottom except fan profiles because i have my own thing :D
    as you can see, my OCd gtx 680 clock is almost reached (coreclock) but memory clock and boost clock is surpassed :D
    the only thing is this card runs a bit hotter than the 680, around 5C hotter, but never goes beyond 79C.

    i can't post my benchmark scores as they are low because my cpu is set to 4.7 running at one core per module only :D i got it stable never reaching 62C under prime95 and intelburntest maximum settings.

    now that the gpu OC is done maybe ill go back to CPU OC with all 8 running but im doubtful of reaching 4.5 :( im really considering switching to 6300/6350 then upgrading to steamroller when it becomes available.




  31. paoloandre said:
    well i tried to OC it and this is my preferred clock, it goes as high as 1102/1914 but just to be sure.

    used this guide from top to bottom except fan profiles because i have my own thing :D
    as you can see, my OCd gtx 680 clock is almost reached (coreclock) but memory clock and boost clock is surpassed :D
    the only thing is this card runs a bit hotter than the 680, around 5C hotter, but never goes beyond 79C.

    i can't post my benchmark scores as they are low because my cpu is set to 4.7 running at one core per module only :D i got it stable never reaching 62C under prime95 and intelburntest maximum settings.

    now that the gpu OC is done maybe ill go back to CPU OC with all 8 running but im doubtful of reaching 4.5 :( im really considering switching to 6300/6350 then upgrading to steamroller when it becomes available.






    The issue is, Steamroller might not be on AM3+. Just set it to 4.4 on all 8, it is not worth the hassle. After all, next gen games are going to be optimized for 8 cores. Anyways, congratulations on overclocking your defective GTX 680 :D

    PS: Make sure to go for the 128GB 840 Pro, the regular 840 SSD has quite a bit less performance.
  32. haha you mean my wrongly labelled gtx 680? :D lol yeah thanks for the advice, changed my settings, went down to 4.5 8cores. :D then i found this http://www.overclock.net/t/1128821/amd-temp-information-and-guide and it gave me a lot more room for overclocking, lol, i was following the cpu temp instead of core temp because core temp seemed dumb to follow since it is not physical, but anyway, straight from amd means its how its meant to be done. but doesn't matter i wont push more than 4.5 anyway.
  33. paoloandre said:
    haha you mean my wrongly labelled gtx 680? :D lol yeah thanks for the advice, changed my settings, went down to 4.5 8cores. :D then i found this http://www.overclock.net/t/1128821/amd-temp-information-and-guide and it gave me a lot more room for overclocking, lol, i was following the cpu temp instead of core temp because core temp seemed dumb to follow since it is not physical, but anyway, straight from amd means its how its meant to be done. but doesn't matter i wont push more than 4.5 anyway.


    The GTX 670 is a GTX 680 that nvidia went PEW PEW PEW PEW with their lasers on. You getting close to the 840 Pro?
  34. The Q6660 Inside said:
    paoloandre said:
    haha you mean my wrongly labelled gtx 680? :D lol yeah thanks for the advice, changed my settings, went down to 4.5 8cores. :D then i found this http://www.overclock.net/t/1128821/amd-temp-information-and-guide and it gave me a lot more room for overclocking, lol, i was following the cpu temp instead of core temp because core temp seemed dumb to follow since it is not physical, but anyway, straight from amd means its how its meant to be done. but doesn't matter i wont push more than 4.5 anyway.


    The GTX 670 is a GTX 680 that nvidia went PEW PEW PEW PEW with their lasers on. You getting close to the 840 Pro?

    yes i ordered it just waiting for it to arrive. :) oh.. so that's the story behind the 670.. well honestly i still cant feel that i have downgraded even if i use it mostly on stock settings.

    http://valid.canardpc.com/2896811
    finally got it to 2600 HT and NB
    :bounce:
  35. paoloandre said:
    The Q6660 Inside said:
    paoloandre said:
    haha you mean my wrongly labelled gtx 680? :D lol yeah thanks for the advice, changed my settings, went down to 4.5 8cores. :D then i found this http://www.overclock.net/t/1128821/amd-temp-information-and-guide and it gave me a lot more room for overclocking, lol, i was following the cpu temp instead of core temp because core temp seemed dumb to follow since it is not physical, but anyway, straight from amd means its how its meant to be done. but doesn't matter i wont push more than 4.5 anyway.


    The GTX 670 is a GTX 680 that nvidia went PEW PEW PEW PEW with their lasers on. You getting close to the 840 Pro?

    yes i ordered it just waiting for it to arrive. :) oh.. so that's the story behind the 670.. well honestly i still cant feel that i have downgraded even if i use it mostly on stock settings.

    http://valid.canardpc.com/2896811
    finally got it to 2600 HT and NB
    :bounce:



    NICE, make sure when you reinstall Windows 8 to check on the OC.

    http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=25911736 (Next upgrade, oh and you will have plenty of room for 2-way SLI)
    http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=25700581 (Other option, also good for 2-way)
    http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=25700580 (Good for 1 670->TITAN\780)
  36. actually i was thinking of entering the world of custom loop cooling for my OC, wouldn't that be better?
  37. paoloandre said:
    actually i was thinking of entering the world of custom loop cooling for my OC, wouldn't that be better?


    Only until you have a good PSU and case :P http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=25060183

    Your VS650 is really the first thing to replace.
  38. The HX850 or 750 is the best value, I would go for that considering it is a superb deal. From there, get the Storm Trooper when you replenish your funds and then go for custom Watercooling.
  39. any other casing recommended? was looking at the enforcer.. what makes the storm trooper better?

    then there is this http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=25060152


    oh man you make me spend way more i wanted, but then again, i dont care and decide to want it too anyway. :D
  40. paoloandre said:
    any other casing recommended? was looking at the enforcer.. what makes the storm trooper better?

    then there is this http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=25060152


    oh man you make me spend way more i wanted, but then again, i dont care and decide to want it too anyway. :D


    The Stryker is a good case and will fit a nice 240mm or 360mm (With an easy mod) radiator . Get the HX850 first though, 840 Pro arrived?
  41. im expecting it to arrive sept 2-4, why upgrade the psu first? for voltages needed in OC?
  42. paoloandre said:
    im expecting it to arrive sept 2-4, why upgrade the psu first? for voltages needed in OC?

    Yes and the fact that the vs650 is not a good psu, not even 80+. Never skimp on the psu.
  43. alright, but its so hard to sell a psu. lol and also casing :))
  44. paoloandre said:
    alright, but its so hard to sell a psu. lol and also casing :))


    Just try to get the HX850 ASAP. Get ready for $PEED on the 840 Pro.
  45. dude, help me find a motherboard for the 3570k. :D preferrably from this guy http://www.tipidpc.com/useritems.php?username=qlt_south

    but any other guy will do too, its just that guy is 30 minutes away from here.

    im currently looking at the z77 sabertooth but i really have no idea on what is a good board for the 3570k and im thinking twice as it is almost a 300$ board. also looking at the asrock extreme6 or this http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=25996326 because there is an extreme price drop<

    got my 840 pro btw but i havent reformatted yet til i use my i5.
  46. 3570k again? :p The Sabertooth is one bad a$$ board, get it if you can, but the xtreme6 will be more than enough. Format the drive, you will have second thoughts man! Really though, upgrade that PSU. Honestly, there is no point of the 3570K in WoT, your monitor is only 60hz after all. The 8350 will do better in next gen games but if you really want it follow the advice above, just get the HX850 quick :P Once again, try the 840 Pro now before getting an i5 3570K.
  47. The Q6660 Inside said:
    3570k again? :p The Sabertooth is one bad a$$ board, get it if you can, but the xtreme6 will be more than enough. Format the drive, you will have second thoughts man! Really though, upgrade that PSU. Honestly, there is no point of the 3570K in WoT, your monitor is only 60hz after all. The 8350 will do better in next gen games but if you really want it follow the advice above, just get the HX850 quick :P Once again, try the 840 Pro now before getting an i5 3570K.


    1st of all, sorry for resurrecting this thread but i have to update the guy who helped me with all of these and probably those who will be in the same boat as i was a year ago

    hey buddy Q6660, sorry it has been ages but this is what my setup now has been and its all thanks to the great base of infos that you gave me

    4670k @ 4.62ghz with 1.21v
    Maximus Impact (beast of a board!!)
    r9 290 (reference, planning to expand my h220 to this in the near future)
    Corsair Vengeance 1866(managed to get my timings down to 8-8-9-22 with 1.55v)
    VS650 w/ red extension sleeves (little cheat for non modular :D, planning to get an RM650 at the end of the year)
    840 Pro 120gb or 128 i forgot.
    Obsidian 250D case (really wanted the h440 but i already had the itx board so i had to settle)

    http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/pb1l7a-2.png

    to all who are in the same boat as i was, going with intel CPU is the best decision that i made, i wanted to go AMD so bad at first because they gave prices that was affordable to builds running on a tight budget but after a lot of buying and selling of stuff, i realized what was better was to just buy the best that you can part per part even if it meant you cant use the computer yet, i limited myself at first by buying everything that i can with my given budget but it meant i had to settle for parts that was just "enough" instead of spending a little more and waiting a little more for having that "amazing" part.

    Do not get me wrong, the 8350 was a beast too, but for a gamer like me who usually played just MMORPG and some casual BF4 and racing games, the more powerful per core performance of intel chips was more than enough. Here is a screenie of my previous cinebench results (please only refer to the 3570k, 4670k and 8350 results)



    yes the bench was not conducted with my 8350 Ocd to the moon but the most i reached stable using all 8 cores was 4.6ghz and its not that far from 4.4ghz in the bench. Its not like it was a close fight in the Per Core test, it was a massacre.

    Im sure the 8350 would beat the intel chips in some modern games because of the additional core support but you know what, the quad core i5s did awesome too in those games. And with the r9 gpu prices going down, i suggest you place those savings in investing more for the intel chip.

    Again sorry for resurrecting the thread but im sure some other people will have same problems as i did and this post will be helpful.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Hard Drives RAM CPUs Systems Motherboards GPUs new-build