Looking to upgrade power supply

honfar

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
Hello, I'm looking to upgrade my power supply since my current ones cords are very short and i just ordered a new case (full size tower) with a ton of fans. I'm looking at the AX series or the AXi, so I was wondering is the "better voltage control" that the AXi has actually worth it?

Also, a lot of PSU calculators are telling me different things, so I was wondering if anyone here could tell me how much power I will actually need, my setup is as follows:

Asus Z77 motherboard
EVGA GTX 770
Intel i7 3770k Ivy bridge with stock heatsink *might upgrade in the future to liquid cooling for my cpu)
2 sticks of 4gb DDR3 RAM
1TB WD Caviar Black HDD
Standard run of the mill DVD/CD-RW drive
All the fans (plus maybe extra) that come stock on the HAF X full tower
I also need to power a headset a keyboard and a mouse, and sometimes I charge my phone or other devices with my computer.

I was looking at this one: http://www.corsair.com/en/power-supply-units/ax-series-power-supply-units/ax760-atx-power-supply-760-watt-80-plus-platinum-certified-fully-modular-psu.html

I currently have a 700w PSU by the way.

Don't bump posts. - G

EDIT: is modular even worth it? The cable octopus is my ARCH-enemy, i hate it, and it collects so much dust, so i would think it would help.

honfar

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013

hello good sir! thank you for your responses guys, i currently have a CX750 but the cable octopus drives me crazy, on top of that the mobo power cable from my CS750 BARELY reaches to the power slot, the only way is to drag it across the front (which is not what iw ant to do). modular seems to be the right product for me, but i need to know if 760 watts is enough for my current setup. My problem with the calculators is they all tell me different things.. one told me 490W and the other told me i needed 690.

EDIT: my HAF X just arrived and the PCIe's barely fit through the slot for "neat cord placement.", no way they will reach my gpu. currently have a stripped bolt in the mobo, taking it to a local computer store tomorrow to get it out, will report back here when i do that.

honfar

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013

tradesman, is there any way you could tell me if 760w is enough for my current setup? i might just save myself a trip to the store and pick up the new PSU while im getting the bolt fixed, but i wanna make sure i have enough power for this BEAST of a case!

EDIT: if 760 is enough i think im going to spring for the 760i because of the digital voltage regulation, ive had bad luck with classic analog psu's in the past, plus the "i" has a 0 rpm "low load" mode!

honfar

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013

blackbird, how much "extra" do i have? enough watts for future upgrades? potentially SLI, a cpu watercooling system and an SSD along with my 1tb HDD?

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
SLI would need 850w.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207024

XFX P1-850X-XXB9 850W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

$129.99
Save: $15.00 (10%)
$119.99 after $10.00 rebate card

honfar

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013

so an 860 watt powersupply would be enough to cover the 10% extra you are supposed to have in case of surges? (assuming i had SLI which i hope to in the future)

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

honfar

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013

but you definately think 760 is enough for my CURRENT setup right?(enough headroom)

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

Yes, no problem