Experiencing Unique Lag - Please help!

olmek

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
I am experiencing a very unique kind of lag. Whenever I am in a game, both online and offline, I experience these "micro-stutters". The game will just stop for a milisecond and then quickly catch back up with itself about once every 5 seconds or so.

It is NOT FPS dropping. It is NOT input latency. It is NOT network lag. It's just as I described it, and I cannot find out what is causing it.

I have more than powerful enough hardware for the games and even have tried them on all low settings without any success. CPU and GPU temps seem to both be below 70 degrees.

Any suggestions or ways to troubleshoot the problem?

It is extremely annoying and almost makes the games unplayable.

Thank you!

-CPU: AMD Phenom x4 980
-GPU: ATI HD 6950 2GB
-RAM: 4GB
-HDD: WDD 320GB 7200rpm
-700w PSU OCZ xStream
-ect.

Let me know what you think guys, thanks!

Don't...

Bump posts

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283384-33-read-first

olmek

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
There is one thing I forgot to note.

A while ago, the PCI-express support clip on the motherboard broke. I still have the video card adequately mounted IMO with a little stand to support the weight. But I figured I would mention this in case it could be the problem.

Zac Lloyd-Jones

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
As long as the card sits in there nicely I can't see that being the problem. Have you tried updating your drivers? Apologies if that's a stupid question but the little things can often be left out when you're trying to fix something :p

olmek

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Hi Zac Lloyd-Jones... Drivers have most definitely been updated, so I doubt that's the problem. Besides, this problem has been with me for a while, through mutliple driver updates. It comes and goes.

olmek

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
If this sounds like a software problem, I can hit it with the reformat hammer and see what happens. I just would not want to waste all that time if it's a hardware issue.