Are all PLGA775 socket CPU's interchangable?

DaBible

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
I have an eMachines W3611 with an Intel P4 631 Dual Core HT 3.0 mhz (800 FSB) and recently found an Intel® Pentium® Processor Extreme Edition 965 (4M Cache, 3.73 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB). Will my motherboard support this? Same PLGA775 socket, but I'm worried about the Bus speed and motherboard. I've never had a problem with anything in this PC. It's never crashed, froze, or not booted on me. Overall; a very stable machine (knock on wood). Cooling isn't a problem; many fans and sits very near an A\C vent as the case and air exiting is nearly ice cold. Will these CPU's interchange without having compatibility problems? I have experienced compatibility issues changing "same socket" CPU's before. David

GraphicsNerd

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015
Just because they are the same socket type doesn't mean that they are compatible. Check the CPU support list to ensure the compatibility.

Chipset support will limit what chips some motherboards support. Early boards couldn't support C2D's, later ones couldn't support C2Q's, and some couldn't support the 45nm die shrink chips. Likewise, FSB speed comes into play; you can't mix and match.