reuse thermal paste?

Eduardo Frias

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Hello Tom's Community,

I recently purchased my components for a home built PC.

Unfortunately the motherboard came DOA so the computer never booted. The RMA was approved and they're sending out a new motherboard as we speak

I had to remove all the components from the defective Motherboard to RMA it. That being said I had to take out the heat-sink that came with pre-applied thermal paste.

Now the CPU and Heatsink have a coating of thermal paste due to the initial install. Would it be okay to reuse the thermal paste when my new motherboard comes?

Thanks for the help!
-Eddie

CheezMeister

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
I was wondering the same thing, thanks! And as follow-up, should I remove the old thermal paste or can I apply the new over the old?

thenh813

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2013
Like Calvin7 said NEVER reuse it.
You are asking for overheating which means trouble.
For removing I recommend ArctiClean 5 which you can get with Arctic Silver 5 paste
or seperately. It has 2 parts, one removes the paste and dissolves most pastes waxes and oils after 30 seconds and the second one removes the oily residue from the first one.
Alcohol works fine but takes longer and you need more of it.

Eduardo Frias

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013

thenh813

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2013

Your welcome! Also that is the VERY SAME set that I got.
Works great as I have used it many times for CPUs and once on the amp transistors in a Pioneer stereo i repaired for a friend because it kept overheating.
Just follow the directions for cleaning on the small bottles and you will be fine.
If you need help applying the compound here is a link to Arctic Silver's instructions. http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html