4 Harddrive partitions now only two are showing...

GringoBingo

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Dear All,

I will be very very grateful if you could help me out with my predicament. When I originally installed windows I partitioned my seagate 500mb drive into 4 partions. I have found out to my horror today that only two of the 4 partions are now showing. Moreover, it seems one of the lost partitions has merged itself with one of the drives. On going into disk management it shows that there is now 179GB of free space- which i think is the other missing drive.

I don't know what could have caused this as I have kaspersky virus checker.

The two missing partitions contains really important work. - yes I am stupid for not backing them up.

Please, I will be greatful if someone could help in how this problem of mine can be solved.

Thank you.

SNA3

Honorable

try download ubuntu into a flash stick and see if the drives will be visible in Linux ... boot from the flash drive.

I never seen a Virus merge partitions or change the partitions ... maybe some one played with your pc and used some partition program ...

just check with Linux and see.

GringoBingo

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013

Hi there, just installed the linex OS and again the drives do not show up. I have however noticed that the F drive now is showing up as 100GB (the size it originally was). Whereas in windows it shows up as 195GB.

Will be grateful if theres anything else I can do.

SNA3

Honorable

ok move your files if it appeared ... move them to external flash or external harddisk .. you want your files right ?

after you move your files you can format the harrdisk and partition it again.

GringoBingo

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013

That's the problem the lost paritions dont show up. I tried to assign a drive letter to the partition that was showing up as free space in disk manager, but cant access that either - it's asking me to format, which i sure as heck dont want to do.

SNA3

Honorable

I mean from Linux , move the files , you said it appeared ...

GringoBingo

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013

Sorry no, the drives did not appear in linux.