pc boot issue

jayden_newman

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
My pc will not boot up, i turn it on but the pc will not actually boot up the start up menu and the monitor screen stays blank does anyone know a fix or advise ? My friend says it may be the bios chip.

Orpheous

Distinguished
May 20, 2008

More info needed to answer...
Does the computer power on? ie. power supply starts up, cpu fan spins, hard drive/power led's light up?
Is there an audible sound coming from the onboard or built in speaker, similar to the normal beep on start up? (P.O.S.T.)
Is it a new or an old PC? Has it had recent issues prior to this one?

Orpheous

Distinguished
May 20, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS
Quote: "BIOS software is stored on a non-volatile ROM chip on the motherboard."
There most certainly IS a BIOS chip ;)

jayden_newman

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013

it does turn on the LED's come on and the fans spin however no sound

jayden_newman

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013

The PC is 8 months old and i had an issue today so we tried to fix that and it was my CPU overheating forcing the PC to shut down after like 30 seconds due to the lack of thermal paste between the heat sync and CPU, after me and my friend fixed this problem, this problem occurred no beep when i turn it on but it powers LED's come on and fans spin, I am using a Asus M5A99X EVO motherboard on an AMD build with fx eight core 8350 and 2 AMD 7890's. Not sure whether to send it back to CyberPower or fix it myself, I phoned CyberPower and they said take out the RAM, and the chip, leave it out of your PC for a few hours and then put the chip in with 1 stick of RAM and turn it back on if it does not beep then you need a new motherboard

Orpheous

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Make sure the 20/24 pin and power cables to the motherboard are inserted correctly. Double check that you have seated the cpu in the socket, and attached the cpu fan properly. When seating a cpu, I always lay the case down so that the motherboard is flat and the cpu just drops in the socket evenly.
Try the RAM test, with each stick

jayden_newman

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013

om thanks i will try this tomorrow and update