Sign in with
Your question

New PC for CAD and Gaming. Around £800

Last response: in Systems
July 26, 2013 2:48:55 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: -£800 (roughly)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (FPS and MOBA), CAD (Various architectural CAD software - AutoCAD, 3Dsmax, Adobe pack, Sketchup, Maya), Streaming on Twitch, General Internet stuff!

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: Whole system. Retaining mouse, keyboard and possibly hard drive for extra storage

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any with UK shipping

Parts Preferences: Preferred Nvidia and Intel but open to anything

Overclocking: I have never overclocked but am happy to have factory overclocked components or oc them if it's easy enough!

SLI or Crossfire: Either where appropriate to match my GPU requirments.

Monitor Resolution: Not sure

Additional Comments: Would preferably be quite. I will be using the PC for the majority of each day with high intensity. I would like to be able to multi task for example rendering an image in 3Dsmax whilst using photoshop and so this needs to reflect in components. I would like a SSD and aim to run my existing HD as extra storage or my external.

I have stated my budget is £800 - this is inclusive of OS. I have keyboard mouse etc to retain. My budget has some movement but as I am not to sure of current setups I can't be to accurate with it. My requirement almost dictates my budget within reason.

My friend has a i5 3570K with and ati 7870 and has recommended that as a starting point for me - would you agree?

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading:

Current pc is on it's last legs. E8400 and 8800gt system has served me well for 4 years +

This would be my first PC I build on my own. I'm competant with PCs but knowlegde of components is outdated.

Many thanks for your time. Please message back if you require any additional information or have any advice!

Tom

More about : cad gaming 800

a c 280 4 Gaming
July 26, 2013 2:54:28 PM

The 3570K and 7870 is still a solid setup (It's what I use) and still holds up well, but there's been newer hardware released and that's what I will recommend:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£179.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£22.85 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-C ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£106.76 @ Aria PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£62.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.32 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£220.97 @ Dabs)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£47.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£76.38 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.87 @ Aria PC)
Total: £779.11
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-26 22:53 BST+0100)
!