HTPC build AMD A10 Richland VS i5 Haswell, need help

is the A10 good enough, or should i use an intel?

• A10 Rickland

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • i5 Haswell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

techoguy

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Hi,
i'm trying to build a HTPC/server and i'm having a hard time deciding which CPU would be best for my use case and if spending the extra on an intel is worth it.

Currently i'm looking at the new A10 Rickland and the i5 Haswell.
i5
a10
I'm building a HTPC to mainly stream hulu, netflix and any other videos. But i want it to rip blue rays (compress and encode later as well), and it will have a dual tunner to watch and record life TV in HD. it will also be my home server for all my files for my whole family. Some transcoding may occur but not often and it's not required. I also might setup blueiris to record 4-6 IP cameras but not really a requirement.

I'm hopping someone can help me decide and make sure i get the best bang for the buck and not over spend for what i need.

I'm also open to any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance for the help!

computer_nugget2

Distinguished
If you are gonna be compressing and encoding frequently then the core i5 is the better way to go. if you are gonna transcode maybe like once a month, then the a10 should be fine.

I personally would get the A10 because I'm a cheapskate. but thats just me.

ktolo

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
I have just recently built a SFF using an A10.

I used a Silverstone Sugo SG06 and had concerns about heat in this case.

I'm very happy with it.. I use it for light gaming too and it's great. The ONLY regret i have is going for the 6700 over the 6800.
I should have got the 6800, but like i said i was worried about heat in the case.
I have no problems with temps at all.
Overall I'm very happy with it.