How do you feel about this gaming rig I'll build?

Riko11

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
Over the past few months I researched what I feel is the best I can get out of my budget to make my first gaming rig which will have to last me for many years.

You can view it here: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1l3HB

Keep in mind the link above is just for a visual list of parts, not pricing. I would like to know how this community feels about this build.

Riko11

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013

I've researched that AMD CPU and apparently it was pretty disappointing compared to even 3rd Gen Intel CPUs. If I was going to get an AMD CPU I'd wait for the next one, but I'm not sure when that's getting released and even then AMD have been performing pretty poorly in the CPU market recently. I prefer consistency which Intel seem to be producing at the moment. Don't get me wrong if AMD produce an excellent CPU, I'll be like "Wow, should have waited!" but it seems like a big ask for them, when Intel seem so far ahead now.

Also, this article you linked was released in April before 4th Gen Intels were out and has a different perspective than now, a lot has happened since then.

kirilmatthew

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

The 4th gen haswells over a meager 5-10% performance increase. They sacrifice this lead when overclocking. For laptops they are good, for desktops they ad nothing but cost. The FX is beating the i5s in newer games(Crysis 3, BF3), but it looses in older, non optimized games. In addition, the new consoles will help the FX's case because they promote multithreaded game development. The max difference in non-optimized games is 5-10fps and is really not that big of a deal. It does however save you money, with a big upside in the future. Personally I would wait for Steamroller(Q1 2014). It promises 30-40% IPC increase over piledriver. Obviously its your rig, your decision, just my thoughts!