Will changing from overclocked to stock often damage my system?

richbosworth

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Hello,

I have an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 and an i7 920 2.66GHz. I'm new to overclocking (hence the question). I managed to overclock the CPU to a stable 3.66 GHz, but this had to be done using the voltage settings normally required for a 3.8 GHz OC. I don't know if this is my system or my lack of experience!

Anyway, I was considering switching back to stock speeds as these voltages are kind of high for their cycle gain. However, when I wish to play Planetside 2, I do want to switch back to 3.66 GHz to make it actually playable. So, my questions are, really:

■ Is it okay to switch back and forth between stock and OC often?
    ■ I can compromise at 3.40 with no voltage changes at all. Is this recommended?
    ■ Related to (2): Will running at the same voltage as stock mean that the CPU runs at exactly the same temperatures as stock? I was under the impression that only voltage changes really affected temperature.

Any other advice about stable/successful OC's would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Yes you can change aroud, when going back to stock, simply set the CPU voltage to AUTO, would suggest keeping track of your OCs and what voltages settings you use, that way if at stock for a while when you start again will know where you've been...google your CPU Mobo and add OC guide, can often find good info that way

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The only real wear and tear will be on the drive motors stopping and starting all the time. Maybe a little surge to the MB components. I say that because most of the time making a major change in BIOS requires the PC to power off for a couple seconds before it restarts. If it is just a simple re-boot, no issue.