Sign in with
Your question

Effects of CUDA Cores on gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 27, 2013 3:38:24 AM

Hi, I am planning to purchase a NVIDIA graphics card for gaming. However I can not decide on two cards :
GTX 760 and GTX 770

I use a 1600x900 , single monitor setup and I have been informed that a 760 is good enough to max out any game at that resolution.
But the 770 has more CUDA cores , texture rate and memory bandwidth.

Inspite of the fact that its an overkill for my monitor , should I go with the 770 , keeping in view the future games to come which would be graphically even more demanding(i.e. a tad more future proof) ?

NOTE : I do not intend to SLI ,
I want better graphic quality even compromising frame rate (35+ fps is acceptable ) ,
I want to use it for at least 2-3 yrs and play using ultra texture details and max out every settings ,
I do not want to regret over going cheap now , and having to play games on mid - high settings after 1.5 yrs.

I am planning a build sometime in the middle of the next week .
Please help me out ......... quick ..:??: 

Thanks in advance :D 
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2013 3:47:26 AM

yes the 760 is strong enough to max almost any game at that resolution.

look at this review of the 760 http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_7...
you can see that at 1600x900 the 770 is about 20% stronger then the 760 and will obviously future proof ur pc better, but go through the pages of that review, and see how the 760 and 770 performs in the latest games, and wether the 760 is enough for you( i think it will be).

and here's wikipedia about CUDA cores http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA .
July 27, 2013 4:11:38 AM

DjDafiDak said:
yes the 760 is strong enough to max almost any game at that resolution.

look at this review of the 760 http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_7...
you can see that at 1600x900 the 770 is about 20% stronger then the 760 and will obviously future proof ur pc better, but go through the pages of that review, and see how the 760 and 770 performs in the latest games, and wether the 760 is enough for you( i think it will be).

and here's wikipedia about CUDA cores http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA .

Well, the review is bent towards the 770 as far as performance is concerned but the 760 really packs a punch for a card with 250$ price tag.
I have never used a gtx card before. I will be upgrading from a gts 450.
Now 760 seems to be a replacement for 660 ti (performance wise) and 670 (price wise).
770 on the other hand gives 680 a run for its money. Hence it out performs the second best card of its previous generation.

1. So , as I am going for a new setup , should I get a 760 ('malnutritioned 670' :( ) or a 770 ( '680 on steroids' :bounce: ) ?
2. Is it worth investing in a card which ,according to NVIDIA follows after Titan ,690 and 780 ?
3. Do you think that the extra shader processing units and greater bandwidth in 770 allow me to max out more games in the long run ?
4. Will the difference in the depth of details be noticable when considering the two cards ?

Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2013 4:15:49 AM

1. get the 760 for the resolution you are using, and if 35+ fps is enough for you, you will max almost everything.
2.didnt understand the question.
3.yes, the card is stronger, it will max more games in the future.
4.what do you mean? ingame details? If both cards max the same game, the game will look exactly the same on both.
its not like the card will somehow improve the engine of the game and add details where non exist.
July 27, 2013 5:04:17 AM

DjDafiDak said:
1. get the 760 for the resolution you are using, and if 35+ fps is enough for you, you will max almost everything.
2.didnt understand the question.
3.yes, the card is stronger, it will max more games in the future.
4.what do you mean? ingame details? If both cards max the same game, the game will look exactly the same on both.
its not like the card will somehow improve the engine of the game and add details where non exist.

First of all thanks . The second question ....never mind, my bad .
In the last he last question ,I wanted to know , if I play e.g. Max Payne 3 @ 1600x900 with every graphics settings ultra /maxed out and stuff like physx etc. enabled , where would I notice the difference in game play when using 770 and 760 ?
Is it only the fps that will differ or will I also see a difference in the quality of the visuals ?

Does this implicate that with a 760 I can max out more games in future if I switch to a monitor of even lower resolution ?
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2013 5:06:57 AM

Only in fps, and yes, the lowest the resolution, the card will work easier= produce more frames.
July 27, 2013 5:12:40 AM

when comparing one Nvidia card to another Nvidia car just look for Cuda cores, which ever card has more is better
July 27, 2013 7:20:59 AM

DjDafiDak said:
Only in fps, and yes, the lowest the resolution, the card will work easier= produce more frames.

Alright , so is the 770 worth the extra dollars considering that it will be a future proof option ?
I'm kinda puzzled , I can't decide whether its better to invest on a better card now as I am apprehensive of the fact that 760 , being a mid ranger might get outdated early.
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2013 7:33:06 AM

I really cant tell you if its "worth it" that's your choice, will it future proof ur pc bette? obviously, its stronger.

and games will become more demanding.
July 27, 2013 8:07:35 AM

Zico1989 said:
DjDafiDak said:

Alright , so is the 770 worth the extra dollars considering that it will be a future proof option ?
I'm kinda puzzled , I can't decide whether its better to invest on a better card now as I am apprehensive of the fact that 760 , being a mid ranger might get outdated early.

nothing can be said "future proof"
if you want a rig that lasts long at that resolution, i suggest a gtx 650ti boost coupled with a i5. It will run all games on Ultra with fxaa or some other AA
honestly you can't predict anything when it comes to hardware, remember what happened when intel released sandy bridge series, it was so extraordinary then and still is.
a b 4 Gaming
a c 124 U Graphics card
July 27, 2013 8:16:59 AM

Far as I'm aware, the presence of CUDA cores only impacts on games when your running PhysX. Otherwise CUDA Core count doesn't matter.
For your resolution, a 760 will do fine.
!