PC crashes when playing video games

conan14566

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
My PC crashes when playing video games. After playing a game for some time, my PC would make some buzzing noise and the screen is messed up like a children's painting and then it'll freeze until I press the reset button. Although For some reason, my PC wouldn't crash if I play FIFA and somehow I think this problem has something to do with either my HDD or SSD, call it a hunch. Also sometimes when I play a video game and the sound starts buzzing, I can sometimes manage to CTRL+ALT+DEL or ALT+TAB out. When that happens, my desktop is empty and then there's this error about explorer.exe . Here's my specs

MOBO: Gigabyte Z77P-D3
GPU: Sapphire Ati Radeon HD 7870 OC Edition
PSU: Silverstone Strider Essential 600w
CPU: Intel i5 3570k
SSD: Intel SATA III 2.5 330 Series 120GB
RAM: Kingston Desktop DDR3 Hyper-X 2x 8GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 320BG

Please help me :(

Also please tell me if I posted this in the wrong section or something. I'm new here.

Does the buzzing noise come from the speakers or the PC? Run Memtest to check the RAM is stable if its OK check what temps you are getting while gaming if thats OK run the graphics card stress test in OCCT.

conan14566

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013

The buzzing sound comes from the speaker. I've ran Memtest and the RAM is stable. What would be the best program to use If I want to monitor the temps while gaming? What's OCCT and how do I use it?

Update : I've checked my temps with Hwmonitor while playing Bioshock. My cores average maximum temperature is 71 celcius and my GPU's max is 59 celcius

conan14566

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013

First core's maximum temp is 71, second is 72, third is 67 and fourth is 70. What should I be monitoring in OCCT??

conan14566

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013

I ran the test for 30 minutes , nothing happened. I might do a longer one If I need to.

conan14566

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013

I've already installed the latest drivers and my settings are unchanged since I bought them. FYI, my GPU is factory-overclocked.

I am running out of ideas, it has been known for factory overclocks to be unstable so its worth a try. You could try running the games with the onboard graphics and the card removed to rule out any problems with it totally. How many games do and don't have this problem? If you cannot find any hardware related problems you could try reinstalling windows or even on a different drive.

conan14566

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013

As far as I know, the only game that doesn't make my PC crash is FIFA 13. Also usually after the crash, I can't start up my PC. The PC boots, goes past the BIOS screen and then would either go straight to startup repair, fail the repair and then restarts itself. And it does it again and again until I turn it off. It would do that or it would go to the Windows screen, but the windows logo animation doesn't show no matter how long I wait and then it'll restart itself. I'd usually fix these by unplugging the connectors and whatnot on the SSD and then replugging it. Does that mean anything?

Edit : Note that the crash also happens on games that is not graphically demanding like Counter Strike Source or Trials Evolution.

It could be the SSD, I don't know much about them but I did come accress one that needed to be unplugged everytime the PC was shut down or it would not boot, it got RMAed for that reason. If you can try installing the OS on the other drive and see if it gets fixed.

conan14566

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013

I'll report back here if I managed to fix it.

conan14566

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
I reinstalled Windows 7. At first I thought it might have been fixed, because the buzzing sound was gone for like a week or so and there were no crashes. Then the buzzing sound came back and the crashed has not happen yet because I was careful enough to close the game and restart my PC.

conan14566

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
Hey I've tried installing the OS in my HDD and it seems the problem is still there just not as worse as installing the OS on the SSD. Thus far, the only game that crashed and made the "BRRRRRTTTT" sound is BF3. Others seem to be fine.

Also when I installed the OS on my SSD, when the buzzing sound started to come after playing a game for quite a while, when I closed the game, and went on to listen to music or video, the buzz sound would also be present throughout the music or video, the video or music would also stutter a bit but there has been no case of crashing when I listen to music or watch video.

conan14566

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
Yeah well thanks for helping though. I think I'm just gonna claim the warranty for my SSD and buy a new HDD. If I am gonna warranty my SSD, what should I say to the guy to get it replaced?

Just tell them exactly what the problem is they may even know how to fix it. If you tell them anything but the truth they will likely test it and say they cannot replicate the problem and may even charge a testing fee.