$500 Mini Itx build advice

gamer2k1

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Hello...
I've already got an i5 2500k desktop but I need something portable to take with me on trips / lan parties thinking of going itx.

What I need: Processor, Motherboard, Ram, PSU, Case, CPU cooler want something quiet.

I hear the Bitfenix Prodigy is a popular case so I'd like to build around that, Black or White.

Budget: $500

I won't be overclocking the system at all but prefer quiet

Location: USA Would like the parts from Newegg if all possible

Parts can reused: Optical Drives, Monitor 1920 x 1080, 650ti Femi, Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers, already have a Corsair HX850 Watt psu but can replace for itx.

Games / Settings I'd like: World of Warcraft & Diablo 3 High to Ultra settings if possible, other games might include BF4 and others but would like Medium on them.

Any suggestions / advice?

Thanks.........

You can surely use your i5 processor. It still is a very good CPU even after two generations of processors have come out.

So, I think there might be some more parts that could be used. So, just tell me what were the parts of your rig, because believe me, you do not need a new CPU. What parts do you already have? Can you please post the specs of your old build. Tell me what RAM, PSU HDD and other things you already have from your old build.

gamer2k1

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

Thanks, the reason for me wanting to switch is I need something portable. The following is from my old build which is current.

RAM: GSKIL F3-1066CL8 x4 so total of 8GB
PSU: Corsair HX850W
HDD: Intel 510 120GB SSD, also have a 60GB SSD in system & 3 1TB WD Black.
Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4

I do know I can use my current i5 2500k CPU thing is also I need something portable.

gamer2k1

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

That build is nice however I do want & prefer to stick with Intel along with the bitfenix case.

You can reuse your RAM, PSU, SSD's and HDD's without problem so just reuse them.

Your old build had a 650 Ti which is not that great card for an i5, so you can just drop in another 760 which should be much better performing than the 760. Well.. if you are fine with a 650 Ti then you should just use that again but if you want something better performing and longer lasting then this is the one to go for.

So these are the new parts that you need. Use your CPU, RAM, PSU, SSD and HDD in this build. It should work just fine.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($254.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $454.96
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-27 22:04 EDT-0400)

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask them below. I would be happy to help. :)

gamer2k1

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

Thanks for the response. The only issue I see / have is my current Corsair HX850 is a bit to big to fit into the Prodigy without modding. So with that in mind what other PSU would you recommend & I can pick up a 760 from EVGA preferred due to warranty.

Okay then, include this too :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($254.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $524.95
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-27 23:36 EDT-0400)

Is there anything else I can do for you?

gamer2k1

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
That's a pretty good modular PSU, how is EVGA when it comes to Power compared to like Corsair, Silverstone? I'll take that EVGA if they are pretty good for power have used there cards in the past with no issues.

EVGA is fine for PSU and for 70 dollars, this is a very good PSU from EVGA. It is 80 plus gold, it is modular which makes it a definite buy.

Also the reviews also says that it is a good PSU, so yeah get this. It should be just fine.