TES Oblivion Surround Sound Issue: Windows 8

Tyler Scaff

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
I just got a new system with Windows 8 and am attempting to play Oblivion on it. Mostly, it runs perfectly, and there are no graphical issues.

There's only one sound quirk that bothers me: When I turn on the surround sound on my Logitech G930 Headset (drivers are installed and running fine), the ambient music hiccups in dialogue screens and menu screens, including the main menu screen. It does not hiccup during non-dialogue gameplay such as combat. When I turn off the surround sound switch, there are no hiccups.

By "hiccup", I mean that when another audio track plays, such as a menu sound effect or dialogue line, the music reduces its volume, but crackles during the transition. When the sound ends, the music returns to its normal volume and again crackles as it does so.

I did not notice this issue with my Windows 7 computer, even though I used the same headset. All Windows and driver updates are installed. I've tried compatibility modes and editing the following in Oblivion.ini:

bDSoundHWAcceleration
bUseSoftwareAudio3D
iMaxImpactSoundCount (increasing and decreasing the number)

None have worked. Suggestions? It's playable, of course, but I'd like to fix this little annoyance.

Specs:

Windows 8 64-bit
Intel i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60 GHz
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Headset: Logitech G930 with driver software, and from what I have seen, it runs on 7.1 surround sound.

Thanks!

Kaluditz

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
I had a problem with Dead Island Riptide, I solved it by turning 7.1 Surround to 5.1 from my PC settings ( Realtek HD Audio ).
I don't know if this does anything on your case thou.