Need some help configuring 2 GTX-680's SLI'd on an intel DX79SR mobo...

jdlev

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
So let's start at ground zero. I'm not sure it is recognizing the 2nd card, or not? I plug in a monitor to the 2nd gtx 680 and nothing. I checked out the device manager, and it only lists a single gtx 680 under display adapters...shouldn't it have 2? I go under the nvidia control panel, and it's not recognizing the extra monitor I just added (4 total). Is the computer not recognizing the second card, or is it just me?

So the setup I'm going for is 3 24" monitors configured as follows (feel free to give me some advice on how to change the configuration).

GTX 680 Card #1:
DVI 1: monitor #1
DVI 2: monitor #2
HDMI: monitor #3
Display: None (what's the purpose of the display port anyways? Never seen this connection before)

GTX 680 Card #2 (SLI'd to Card #1):
DVI 1: none
DVI 2: none
HDMI: cable run to my HDTV big screen (mirror monitor #1 display)
Display: none

So how would I go about using the connections on the second card to have my HDTV mirror what is on monitor #1? Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong. I think that a single GTX 680 can support 4 monitors, so this should work. Just for curiousity's sake...how many monitors can 2 SLI'd GTX cards handle? 8? Thanks for any help :)

Solution

They are still limited to 4. Connect the monitor to the card\master card in the topmost PCI-E lane, you cannot use the second card for any display. You will need a Displayport to HDMI adapter in order to get a quad monitor setup. Also, how many GB is your GTX 680 and what model is it? For now, I would disable one of the monitors or the TV while you get a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter if you wish to take advantage of SLI. Also, can I possibly have full system specs?

Tip: Turn off and disconnect your TV when gaming for better FPS, the GTX 680 SLI is still only able to access 4GB at max depending on your version.

Solution

jdlev

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013

I was able to determine the second card was active by checking the memory dedicated to the card (it was double a single card), so it's installed and recognized. Kinda weird that you can still only have 4 monitors on 2 cards, so I guess the purpose of the second card is purely performance based. Here's the sys stats:

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer INTEL_
Model DX79SR__
Total amount of system memory 56.0 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 3679 GB
Disk partition (C:) 551 GB Free (885 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:) 529 GB Free (1397 GB Total)
Disk partition (E:) 1131 GB Free (1397 GB Total)
Media drive (F:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
Total available graphics memory 32474 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 4096 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 28378 MB
Display adapter driver version 9.18.13.1422
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
Secondary monitor resolution 1920x1080
Secondary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connection
Network Adapter Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)

Notes

The gaming graphics score is based on the primary graphics adapter. If this system has linked or multiple graphics adapters, some software applications may see additional performance benefits.

You seem to be running DirectX10, which is odd. Update it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113 Also, what brand is your GTX 680. SLI is an odd conecpt, it uses the first card to generate 1 frame, while the second does the other frame. The cards are sadly, still limited to 4GB of RAM and not 8GB.

TRENDING THREADS