What power supply should I use

nonprofitgibi

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
Ok so I'm working on affording my first build and it needs to be right so I have all the parts picked out except the power supply. I checked out http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine and well idk if i need 600+ watts or 800+ watts because I have an 8 core cpu and it says that 2 and 4 cores still only count as one but my 8 core takes 125w which to me seems a bit over kill. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1lnL2 this is it so far so it includes the other parts how ever I do plan on adding more to the computer later on like another gpu more ram and another hard drive that might end up an ssd. The main problem is obviously with the power supply but if you notice anything else that would be great.

update: I am using this computer for primarily school work but I also program so I will be compiling code which is why I went "all out" on the processor. I know I will need more ram later on to compile anything too big but I will get around to it when it is needed. The only game I play on my computer is minecraft and that is not even that often so as of now graphics is not that big of a deal how ever I will eventually be running 4 monitors for ease of use when programming.

The CPU really will not matter when choosing the PSU, it relies more on the Graphics card, which your current will need far less than 600W to run. I chose an XFX ProSeries 750W which will supply a more than enough amount of power. While it may be a bit off topic Here is some advice for your build, for running 4 monitors eventually you will need a more powerful graphics card, but I upgraded you to a 650ti With Boost in due to the massive improvement for far less. Also, it would be a very good idea to get an SSD, which I put in the proposed final build. Finally, I added a Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler due to the stock one being insufficient.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($72.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($14.94 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Full (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VH238H 23.0" Monitor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1207.80
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-27 21:34 EDT-0400)

nonprofitgibi

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
Thanks a lot I am going with the 650 graphics card but I'm sticking with my cheep ram I did the math and with my current motherboard it is basically the fastest for the cheapest if my math is correct a cas latency of 7 and ddr3 1333 is actually slightly faster but I was only able to find that once and I figured I wouldn't notice .0003 seconds and probably wouldn't even notice .0006 seconds. Now if I could get my hands on ram that had a cas latency less than 9 and was 2000 it might be worth taking a look at but that doesn't seem to exsits.
Any ways thanks for the help.

I would go for 1866, higher clock is better most of the time and the Vengeance RAM looks cool :p Remember to buy most of the parts from the list and I am not so sure about Team RAM. Just make sure to get the 650ti with Boost or more preferably get everything in my list.

Yes, 3.0 is compatible with 2.0. You will not see a performance loss whatsoever, it is only when you get to Quad-Monitor setups where it even makes a small difference.