Can we improve this Dell Dimension 2400?

Bexx

Honorable
May 9, 2013
I know this computer is old, it's the second one we had I believe that I used to use as a kid. Now my Dad uses it and has done for a long time. The only things he really does is watch films (I bought him a nice new monitor for it) and play bejewelled on Facebook lol He said that recently Facebook has become very slow and there is something called a page file that got put onto the computer when the RAM is full. He said he can either faff with the settings on the page file or get more RAM.

I believe the motherboard of this PC can only hold 2GB of RAM, I bought him an extra 1GB in 2009 and the System Information says:
Total Physical Memory: 1,280 MB
Total Available Memory: 681.69 MB

Is there anything I can do to this/buy for it which will improve the performance? I thought maybe 2x 1GB crucial ddr3-1333? We're pretty low on money though so would like to salvage as much of it as I can. Maybe keep the case, PSU (has never let us down so far but I suppose it only lasts so long) hard drive (would we need a replacement? I bought him a 1TB external which he uses to store his films and stuff on), disc drive and anything else. Could he continue on XP Home or is an upgrade needed?

What do you guys think?

EDIT: I've just taken it apart to clean it, the PSU is 200w, the hard drive is a 40gb seagate barracuda, a lite-on disc drive, 2 slots for RAM (max 2gb), intel pentium 4 cpu and an intergrated graphics card

Maybe a new new motherboard and more ram incase 2x1gb isn't enough?

Id drop that to sea. But fish maybe do not like that. Or greenpeace.
I remember this greenpeace thing they did trow one big girl back to sea when she was comin back from swimming trip and they did shout save the whales :D

You can save some parts like psu and memory or case
But all new build is better. Or pick just parts that you need.
Something like this.
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1lAhF

Better buy cpu is Intel Pentium G2120 or better.