Sata question and is this ssd big enough for my needs

G

I'm getting an ssd to speed things up in my pc. I'm getting one with sata 3 and I'm not sure if I have a sata 3 port. Is there a way I could find out? I know that all sata is compatible with each other, but I want the fastest one possible. Also, is 120 gb ssd big enough for my needs? How many games and applications could I put on it? Thanks in advanced!

popatim

Titan
It doesnt mater if you have sata 3 ports on your motherbd. Still get a sata3 ssd. While you won't see top speed in sequential file transfers (new drives do like 550mb/s) 250mb/s is still fast.

What size you need? Look at how much space you have used on your current drive and figure out how much of it you want on the ssd. 120/128GB is plenty for OS, and programs but games eat space due to their high graphic content. Whats Wow now? I know they want 25gb free space I'm not sure what it actually uses...

As for speeding up your pc, it wont. It will make things that use the drive load faster, like booting up, but dont expect it to make your processor faster. Unless you have disk intensive applications they wont run any faster either. They will load real quick but otherwise be the same as before. You would be better off making sure you have enough ram.