How many fans will my mobo/psu support? & case fans help

ritmo99

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Hello everyone,
Noob question here. As I've never really went over board with my cooling in my first build. I've decided to give it a go here.

Items I've already purchased so far for the new build
I5 4670k (planning to OC to 4-4.5ghz if i win the chip lottery)
kingston 8gb ram
Corsair CX 750W psu is non modular
Ga-z87- HD3 ATX board
gtx 770 gainward edition
CM scout 2

About to head out to buy the NH- D14 air cooler in a couple of hours.

Given my specs
Q1)How many fans will I able to run along with the 2 that come with the NH D14 & how many fans can my mobo/psu support?

I was told up to a max of 4..... So just wanted to make sure
My case can support a total of 9 (2 that come pre installed.)

In my previous thread I was given examples of taking that cooling to another level
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1735221/good-air-cooler.html
And was advised this fan to replace one of the stock ones that come with the D14
http://itestate.com.au/pages/product/pdt_product_detail.faces?BeanName=productDetailAction&pcode=12393

Q2)Can you recommend me, some more fans with high airflow for the Case and to push the cooling of the D14 to even greater heights?

I currently have bought 3 x
http://itestate.com.au/pages/product/pdt_product_detail.faces?BeanName=productDetailAction&pcode=16242

Feel free to add anything else that might be relevant and helpful.

Cheers,
Jack

Mace ya face

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Nine, (including CPU, free ones that came with case and provided you don't want to plug anything but fans into the molex slots)

Cooler Master sickle flow fans are great.

P.S. YOU WILL NEED AFTERMARKET COOLING TO OVERCLOCK!!!

ritmo99

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
but there are only 3 sys fan slots on the board? I am guessing i need to buy cables to split it or something? as the fans that came pre installed have 3 pin connectors yet the board as 4 pins. The issue is basically there are 3 fan slots excluding the cpu fan. I am guessing these are the temperature controlled fan slots? there are 4 pins (not molex) and the fans only have 2/3 pins connectors. I am confused and stumped at the moment :/

Mace ya face

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Three pin fans will fit in those four pin slots. The fourth pin is for PWM controlled fans. But a three pin will work. The MOBO has three slots. CPU-1, CPU-OPTIONAL and SYS FAN. You're PSU has 6 4-pin molex slots. So assuming that the fans you bought are of good quality, they will each came with a molex adapter that you can daisy chain (though six per PSU max. Any more will cause damage to PSU). In total thats 9 fans including CPU.

Azrael47

Distinguished
This motherboard can support 4 cooling fans as it has 4 fan headers.
1 CPU fan header and 3 system fan headers.

they are 4 pin fan headers and even if the fans you get are three pin you can still control the fan speed in a program called SpeedFan or in the BIOS.

You can configure your fans so you have two intake and one outlet. If you want to overclock then invest in an aftermarket cooler that will provide better cooling such as the Evo 212 or the NH-D14

Now obviously your CPU fan will be used by your CPU cooler so this only leaves you with three fan ports to use. However if you want to use more fans (for example you want another outlet fan) then you can get a molex to chassis adapter this to plug into your 4 pin peripheral cable on your PSU to your cooling fan.

Mace ya face

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013

Err... Ya what he said. That is a simpler way of putting it.

ritmo99

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

Yes it did come with molex connectors

ritmo99

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

Is it possible to have all 3 sys fans on intake and the molex connectors can support the other intake/ exhaust fans or that won't work?

I've got the DH14 already. Had some issues installing it & concerns too.....
It's weight will probably bend the board... Is there any major risk that the board might break/ stop working?

ritmo99

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

After reading this over and over..... I confused my self lol
When you said max 6 per psu. Did you mean
A) 6 on the molex (excluding the 3 sys header fans?)
or
B) 6 overall regardless of how many the case can hold?

Because I was essentially going to go out and buy fans for each and every slot now I am a bit hesitant.

Azrael47

Distinguished
Ok, I will dumb it down

IF the case you have now can support 7 fans and the PSU you have has 3, four pin peripheral connectors Then you could plug your CPU fan and 2 fans into the mobo (that's three fans overall) and you can then plug 3 other fans into your PSU.

Motherboard- 3 fans

PSU - 3 fans

I recommend you use all your motherboard fan connectors for the time being. Have one intake, one outlet and one for your Heatsink.

Any more questions?

ritmo99

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
I understand that I just wanted to know more about the 6 fans per psu rule. Never heard of it... then again I am not a tech guru so yeah....
I've got the
dh14- cpu fan
2 intakes in sys 1/2
1 exhaust in sys 3
2 exhaust These should connect to the molex connectors
There are roughly 4 or 5 molex connections so it should be able to take 4/5 fans I just want to know if its safe or not. As this is the first time I've heard of that rule....
YET TO BUY
3 Intake These should connect to the molex connectors

I just wanted to know more about the psu rule is all :/

Azrael47

Distinguished
Yes it is safe, fans use very little wattage. You need to purchase an adapter such as this- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pin-Molex-Female-Splitter-Cable/dp/B002VSTYJC

If I was you, I think you are going overkill on fans.

You need one for your CPU, two intake and two outlet. So this means that you could plug your two intakes into your motherboard fan headers and the outlets can be plugged via the cable I linked you into the PSU.

Could you please link me your PSU.

Adding more fans simply confuses the air flow and can lead to cooling problems.

Azrael47

Distinguished
That PSU is good!

The top PSU manufacturers are:

Corsair
Antec
XFX
Seasonic
Rosewill

This is why they cost more than other brands such as Cooler Master or Be quiet!

They are better quality.

You will have no problems hooking two fans to your PSU.