Intel Responds to Overclocking on Non-Z Series Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
this is very very weak of intel. I have a Z77 mobo so wont effect me but if the mobo is not produced by intel they need to stop. If they want control of motherboards then they should try to be a bigger player in that market instead of backing out of it.

This is not done.. I mean why the hell do the companies like Intel try to be so closed. As cburke82 said, they do not make these motherboard, hence they should just stay away from this stuff.

Really Intel is a great chip manufacturer but why do you have to be so closed in everything. I mean Intel also locks the Overclock multiplier in their chips for no real reason just because they want to make more profit by making people get only the thing that they want to sell.

I mean look at AMD, almost all of their chips have unlocked multiplier and they don't ever Interfere with any of the Motherboard manufacturer and does not peek their nose in everything else. They just launch great chips and let the other manufacturers do whatever they want to.

I really hate when good companies try to control everything according to their liking, some other examples are Apple (iOS) when compared to the open source Android by Google.

Why cannot every company by just open like AMD and Google are?

John Bauer-1363825

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

It's all about $$$. Making money in a business is vital, but when it starts interfering with the customers, then you become a company like Zynga.

This is quite pathetic of intel. If they want to stop it they need to fix their chipset and write off the current users.

Trying to deploy a secret update is appalling.

In any case I virtually never update my BIOS and choose which windows updates to install because "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it"

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
To be honest I find the type of comments here to be unjust. At the end of the day Intel spend billions on development and ultimately it is THEIR product, why shouldn't they dictate the rules? Be glad there is overclocking at all.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Well again its not THEIR product. If MSI sells me a mobo then Intel has no business trying to force an update causing me to lose some functions.

Would it bother you if company henchman snuck into your house and disabled your television because it was "too functional"?

Its not quite that bad in the digital world but the concept is essentially the same: Once it is in users hands, it isn't your place to be disabling features.

Morkintash

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Just why would they do that? Does Intel get some sort of bonus from other motherboard manufactures if the consumers bought a Zxx motherboard over Bxx and Hxx?
I figured that if people are able to over clock perfectly fine on these "non-Z" motherboards, than there would be more consumers willing to buy the more expensive non locked processors.

shuvool

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Before you guys get in a huff and get all bent out of shape over "omg why is Intel doing this?" remember. Z87 is Intel's IP. This isn't like the company man coming in to disable your tv because it works too well, this is like the cable company coming to your house because you found a way to get premium channels without paying for it. Yeah, it sucks that some people got something for free that they're getting rid of, but it shouldn't have been there in the first place, and since they own both the chipset and the cpu, I'm pretty sure they are in the right for making sure that you use their intended chipset with the appropriate cpu to achieve the intended results

Before you guys get in a huff and get all bent out of shape over "omg why is Intel doing this?" remember. Z87 is Intel's IP. This isn't like the company man coming in to disable your tv because it works too well, this is like the cable company coming to your house because you found a way to get premium channels without paying for it. Yeah, it sucks that some people got something for free that they're getting rid of, but it shouldn't have been there in the first place, and since they own both the chipset and the cpu, I'm pretty sure they are in the right for making sure that you use their intended chipset with the appropriate cpu to achieve the intended results
But it is the motherboard manuf. that exploited it, not the users.

I would be perfectly fine with it if they prevented future boards being manufactured from having the ability (they should fix the bug in the silicon really).
But trying to disable it after users already bought it is immoral and sleazy.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
if they really wanna fix this problem, they should have leave the current non-z chipset, stop the production, re-release a new chipset that totally address the issue. How piss a customer gonna be when they bought a non-Z motherboard with i3 but only to find out they cant upgrade to i7 non-K later.

G

I really have to side with Intel here. Clearly some people don't know that some unscrupulous system builders sell OC PC at the higher price to unknowing customers. Give them a way to do it with a cheaper chipset and you can better money that's exactly what they will do. Intel isn't the least bit concerned with the >1% enthusiast market who want to OC. They're more concern with with the businesses buying hundreds and thousands of computers.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009

Intel try to be Monsanto Company of computer technology

Haha saw this coming. Enjoy retracting all that marketing and money wasted Asrtock, Gigabyte and whomever had this as a feature on their boards...

NEVER trust in Intel to even allow previously purchased hard ware to remain in the purchased state, they will try their best to fix it retroactively to already sold hardware.

montosaurous

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
You can just not install the updates correct? No reason to be so freaked out about it. The DX11.1 update screws with a few older games I have on Windows 7, so I simply chose not to install it and not have IE10 which requires it. You don't need to have the latest updates to be functional.

leteFREAKK

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
I just switch from a AMD athon x4 to a i5 4670 with a msi b85 so now I am stuck with a MOBO that can't overclock, great way to mess stuff up
i might switch back to AMD after a few years

Or you could just NOT update your BIOS and still overclock.

Going cheap is not the way to go anymore.
You could have known this.
Stop complaining.

_guillem

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Well since we buy the expensive z78/7 for overclocking it would suck that somneone who got the cheaper h77/8 and can overclock too.

Status
Not open for further replies.