Gaming PC Parts Upgrade Needed

AllelujahDoL

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
Built this rig about 4 years ago or so and I am starting to think about upgrades. I don't have a set budget but I'd like to consider 2 options at least for each item below mid to high $.

As for my core.. there is so much that has come out since and I've been reading up on the 4th gen. Haswell I7's but then wouldn't I need a Seasonic or Coolermaster compatible psu.

I know for sure I want to upgrade my motherboard and gfx cards. I do a lot of rpg and mmorpg pc gaming on this rig but I need the performance to be a lot better and this just isn't cutting it then the basics.. movies, browsing, Photoshop.

I don't even have hdmi on this board so simple things like that as well are motivation. I've just had onboard audio and I want a sound card this time. Xonar DG? I would like to keep the case if possible. I do enjoy Nvidia and Intel products so I'd like to stick with those.

Thank you very much

What I have currently:

Intel i7-920 4Core
Gigabyte X58 GA-EX58-UD4P
Nvidia GTX 275 x2
Corsair 6gb Ram
Hitachi 500gb Sata II 7200rpm
Kingston 128gb SSD
Asetek 120mm watercooler
1000W Thermaltake
Coolermaster Storm Sniper case

serge44

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Humble opinion - the only thing that needs replacing there is your graphics card. Get a GTX 760 or 770 (budget permitting) and you'll be thrilled.

Serge44 is correct. You still have a pretty powerful system. A friend has a similar system and simply replaced the GTX460 with a 660. It rocks! You have a better mobo, cooling and PSU, and an SSD. You're set for the 770 Go 770.
Also, with that cooler, you could probably OC the CPU a little.
Excellent choice for a case, if I do say so myself (I have one too)

Regarding the two 275's. I would sell one or use it in a smaller build, perhaps a PC for a child or grandchild. The second one can be saved to use should problem ever develop with your new card(s). You know it works, so could use it for testing or even as a temporary replacement.
That EVGA looks great! and will work well in your case.
"...would SLI be overkill..." IMHO, NO! Gaming drives much of the PC industry, and the games aren't going to revert back to 2D and crappy resolutions. You will probably need the horsepower down the road, and definitely if you move to a 27-30" monitor: you might even want to consider a 770 with 4GB VideoRAM (GDDR5) if you are thinking of +30" or multiple monitors as the vram in SLI is not combined (2GB + 2GB in SLI does not equal 4GB as each card will use its vram to produce the graphics)
I don't know much about sound cards anymore, haven't kept up, but what speaker system are you goiing to use?
I use headphones and, when I can, a good 5.1 surround system, and on-board sound. I did use a Creative card and it might have been better, but my ears couldn't tell a difference. That ASUS card looks to be bottom end, you may want to do some research of reviews to see how well it performs compared to onboard. The DGX or DSX might be worth the money.

AllelujahDoL

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
I found this but out of stock so will keep looking. Thank you again. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130945

ok so found it on Amazon same price. So this will for sure fit in my rig? http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclocked-Dual-Link-Graphics-04G-P4-3774-KR/dp/B00E5AEIKE/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1376010053&sr=1-14&keywords=EVGA+GeForce+GTX770

Should I look at upgrading my ram possibly? I'm doing some reading on vengeance vs dominator.

Corsair dominator for overclocking And ultra performance.

Corsair vengence for basic overclocking and high performance.

No, you will be just fine with everything you have and the new graphics card.
You don't need anymore RAM, and any speed difference between what you have and what you want to purchase will probably NOT be noticeable.