Infrared Module Header

Jonathan Phoenix

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Dear Sirs,

I was just a having a glance through my mobo (asrock 775i65g R3.0) user manual for something else and came across this 'Infrared Module Header' 5-Pin.

What is the above, what is it used for, do I need one, if so where to buy and estimated cost, etc...?

Link to picture from the manual:

http://bayfiles.net/file/TFfT/e05v41/%E2%80%ABIMH.jpg

%E2%80%ABIMH.jpg

Thank in advance, Jon

Jonathan Phoenix

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Thank you for your swift help, but I am still clueless, from your post :(

I feel stupid now but can you explain a bit better???

Thank you once again, Jon

manosspan

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
My mobo is asrock g41mh, but after hours of searching i find out that this module is only for receiving. I was looking for way to change tv channels from my pc with some kind of software.

Yeah the ir ports on motherboards, are called CIR for consumer infrared, they are receive only so that you can control a pc from a remote, not use your PC as a remote control.

Im sure there are usb transmitters out there but you still run into a lot of hurdles. First of all you need all of the ir codes, then you need some software with buttons to output those said commands, and then you have the fact that IR is line of sight and so the PC needs to be facing the TV/devices and people walking in front of it can make issues for you.

There are already developed software solutions that have the ir codes in a database and then you have a device like this: http://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/ip2irspecs/
This hooks up to your network and then run a 3.5mm cable with ir emiiter on it and attach it to your devices (it comes with one higher power emitter that does not have to be attached). This way you can use any network connected device with control software on it to control your living room.

I use one of the ip2ir devices and then I have a software called irule on an android tablet and our smartphones. I can then control any device I have programed from any room of the house or outside because it is wifi and not IR. I even have speakers outdoors and I can change the volume, the input, or select the next song from my smartphone. Now irule only works for android and ios and not windows though, but there are several other software solutions that are designed for those ip2ir devices so maybe one of them supports windows (or linux) if you were set on using the PC.

One other aspect too is that more and more network connected devices have a website control page built in . You can control many TVs, receivers, streaming devices like roku (not amazon fire though), blue ray players, etc by entering the ip address of the device into a browser. My primary reciever is this way, I can go to its IP in a web browser and I have a full remote control and visual interface of what the input is, volume is, etc etc.
I use the ip2ir to control half my devices but the other devices all support IP control.
The irule software supports IR, IP web control, and RS232 (serial cable) so I control everything from that one UI.

If you have any more quesitons just let me know

TRENDING THREADS