E3-1270 Single Processor vs E-7320 Quad Processor

pandeypunit

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
My website is CPU intensive website and currently it is hosted on Intel Xeon E3-1270 processor. Recently hits of my website has increased and I am seeing decline in server response time. I am planning to upgrade and confused which processor to go for. Will E7320 Quad Processor improve over E3-1270 Single Processor? How much improvement can I expect?

If you mean running 4 E7320s on a single board (I don't think a quad 771 board even exists), yes they might have an improvement. Core for core the E3-1270 utterly destroys the E7320.

pandeypunit,

An interesting question, but a bit confusing. When you say "upgrade" it reads as though you want a 4 CPU-system which would be more in the line os a completely different system than upgrading an E3-1270 one. I don't think any 4-CPU motherboard will go in the place of an E3 one. You are better off getting a server for a server use.

The E3-1270 v2 especially has one of the best cost to performance ratios around although the cache and bandwidth make it better for good performing, reasonable cost workstation than server, which is the direction you are finding you need to go. The E7320 may be used in 4-CPU configurations and it's possible to buy a Dell R900 with 4-E7320's reasonably. However, it's a 1066 FSB @ 2.13GHz using hot, slow and expensive PC2700 DDR1 and some use DDR2 667 RAM. There's a reason a used E7320 CPU can be purchased for $35. I don't think you'd be pleased. You didn't mention a budget but you might consider a slightly more modern server like a Dell R610 with dual Xeon X5560's quad core @ 2.8GHz and DDR3 1333 ECC RAM for about $1,000 without drives- more modern and with a good RAID controller. Another alternative is to buy a dual quad core Xeon workstation Dell Precision T7500- closely related to a server with two fast quad or six core CPU's. There a e quite a few with two 4-core W5590's @3.33. These still have a PCI-x slot and you can buy used PCi-x RAID controllers by LSI for very little and run lots of drives.

It sounds as though you may be customer for a good server, but it would help if you defined your search bit more- budget, performance, storage capacity expected.

Cheers,

BambiBoom