Strange throttling behaviour

canoyi

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
On my y470, the cpu multiplier decreases drastically from 28x to just 8x once the cpu reaches 80 degrees celcius. There's also a slight throttle once the temps pass the 60's, that is from 31x to 28x. I've updated my drivers and bios to their latest versions, and even have an unlocked bios. I tried disabling C1E and EIST in the bios, changing throttle temperatures, but to no avail. The settings save in the bios but once i get into the OS, it almost seems to be overrided by some software. Really hope you guys can give me some advice on what may be causing this and how I should solve it, thanks :)

Edit-------
Also noticed in throttlestop that i couldnt change the TRL. 4 cores = 28x.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Thats actually normal, that is called Thermal Throttling. Your CPU is basically turning itself down to compensate for the high temps. The lower the clock the less power/heat it uses. Therefore its a fail safe. What are your ambient temps?

canoyi

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013

Hi, thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that i was previously only throttling at 100 degrees celcius on windows 7. Updating to windows 8 made my temps lower ( may be just me imagining ) but significantly lowered the throttling temps. The main problem is that my bios settings do not take effect, although the bios does retain its settings.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Have you tried to clear your CMOS? Doing so will reset everything in BIOS to default, then after that try and change things to what you want it to be.

canoyi

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013

By clearing CMOS do you mean pressing f9 in bios? Yes I've tried that. Unfortunately it dosen't solve the problem =(