Change SSD SATA mode to AHCI?

bassandguitar90

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Hello all,
So my question is the following: I'm going to hook up my SSD, instal windows 8 on it, then shut the computer off and hook up an HDD along with my solid state and use it as the D: drive for my files and such. The question is; I read that I should change the SATA mode for the SSD to AHCI in the BIOS, shoud I leave the SATA mode for the HDD alone?

I have had my OS installed on my HDD with the SATA mode on whatever was there by default when that was my only drive, but the OS messed up and I have to reinstall it so I'm going to wipe the HDD and install the OS on the SSD. I know you can't reformat them nicely once the OS is installed so I just want to be sure.

If it means anything I have a ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard.

Thanks

Yes set the SATA mode to AHCI for SSD. Leave the HDD alone or set it to IDE mode. Doesn't matter.

First install OS on SSD (unplug the HDD prior installing OS). Then format the HDD with bootable media(DVD/USB). When formatting the HDD leave the SSD unplugged.

bassandguitar90

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

Why should I leave the SSD unplugged when I format the HDD, aren't I using Windows 8 to format the HDD and doesn't the SSD have Windows 8 on it? I don't really understand what you mean by format the HDD with bootable media.
Thanks

For win7 and above, AHCI is fine as they have native SATA drivers. XP doesn't have native sata drivers so IDE works better for it.

What lonewolf is getting at is to make sure the SSD is the only attached drive when installing the OS, otherwise windows will put the boot loader and OS on seperate drives. This can cause headaches down the road. By only having the SSD attached, this will force windows to put the boot loader and OS on the same drive, your SSD. Once the OS is installed, then you can attach any remaining drives and partition/format them as necessary.

So I think you got your answer as Hawkeye described it for you beautifully and technically. One more thing you don't need Win 8 SSD to format the HDD. About the Bootable media : If you want to format a HDD with OS on it you have to use bootable media(DVD/USB) cause windows disk management would be unable to format a HDD, I mean the OS partition. It would format the other partitions but not the OS one, basically the C: drive. So I suggested bootable media. Good luck.