This post has been deleted

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

First off I am truly sorry that you only have Comcast to deal with, yet there is a ray of sunshine. Thant is being able to talk to someone there (at Comcast) that actually has a clue about networking and just not reading off a script in less than 5 hours.
Your images didn't work.
Your router didn't support IPv6 I guess and it should be OK, but remember the resolution in case your power flickers or Comaacst has a network upgrade and it fails, it will save you the aggrivation of searching again..............

networkuser

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013

networkuser

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013

No, not at all. And I tried to explain to them that this was something odd, not having anything to do with dynamic IP address (they were telling me that 10digit IP address changed to 26 alpha-numeric characters is something that should happen on regular basis, as dynamic addresses change , etc.)

The way it works with Comcast (and I think other large service providers too) , is that you are never going to speak to anyone who has any semblance of technical proficiency unless your issue escalated to third tier or above. It would cost them a lot to staff call centers with people who had even moderate expertise in the field.
So, they give scripts and train the tier one tech support to just send you away with some scripted answer.
If I call back to Comcast I will not get any better answer ( I did 5 times already, each time spending a while , being transferred around and told the same thing) .
They just write it off as "You have dynamic IP address..bla bla...". They will not escalate it above tier 1 or 2.

I really hope someone here has an idea what this could be and how to read the IP config results.

Thank you so much to anyone who tries to help!

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

What am I chopped liver? LOL. Your picture clearly showed IPv6 addressing as well as IPv4. What is to read? What you are asking for is really "What is Comcast doing?" I would suggest going to their forums and look it up.
Here is some lightHERE
HEREand found this comment:
Comcast's support of IPv6

A key aspect of Comcast’s IPv6 program is to make the company’s content available over IPv6. We will maintain support for IPv4 while adding support for IPv6. You will not need a new Comcast device when your area makes the switch to IPv6.
HERE Then call and ask why. If you can't understand why then pick up a book on TCP/IP it's a great start.

IPv4 is an IP address consisting of 4 octets separated by a . the max number for any of the octets is 255
255.255.255.255 is maximum number allowable using 32 bits. IPv6 uses 128 bits.

For more info on IP addressing : HERE