another RAM question

simon grover

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Hello internet

I have a recurring question about ram.. sorry

I have installed 12 GB of ddr3 ram which should run at... you guessed... 1600mhz but of course is running at 668.2 Mhz (1333 Mhz ) and the clock speeds are at 9 9 9 24. as apposed to 10 10 10 28. I have enabled the xmp by setting it to profile. but with no luck..

I do have the intel turbo boost active with small increase of the multiplier and bus speed. this was done for a very stable overclock for 3D applications and thought this could have some thing to do with it but not sure.

I read that its usually a case of changing the timings manually but I have nooo idea how to do that and worried my little pride of joy with cough out a little puff of smoke if I do

any help with be appreciated

thanks

Simon

my system is:
cpu: i7 920 3.34GHZ. then turbo boosted to 3.5ghz.
motherboard : gigabyte EX58UD3R

Alex Leyzar

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Well your MB specs say "Support for DDR3 2100+/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules" Now... im not sure this means it supports 1600 mhz... seems fuzzy to me. Maybe somebody else can shed some light on this...
Also make sure you are using the latest Bios version for your MB.
You can also reset your CPU settings to stock (cancel the OC) and see if that changes anything... i hear sometimes this can be a issue.

and finally if you are sure it supports 1600mhz i would try to manually set the timings , voltage , and then test them.
It's rly not that big of a deal, just set them to the manufacturers stock values. These usually come on the box...

simon grover

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013

HI

thanks I now have a new development.
I have the ram sorted and up to speed but at the cost of my overclock. :( I have to set the bus speed to its stock of 133 to get the 1600mhz.

It was originally set to 167, is there anyway to get around this? I have tried to adjust it manually but with the pre sets it will go to 1670mhz

thanks