Ubuntu Edge Smartphone Funding Tapers Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good, wasn't a good idea anyways. Only hardcore Linux nuts would care about having Ubuntu and yet another fragmented OS for a phone. Can it play angry birds and will facebook messenger run on it is what people want, not a Linux phone. People don't care

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
I can't see anyone paying $800 for a phone that doesn't even have a 1080p screen.

Ubuntu should be trying to penetrate the custom rom market and drive denand for their os that way.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Good, wasn't a good idea anyways. Only hardcore Linux nuts would care about having Ubuntu and yet another fragmented OS for a phone. Can it play angry birds and will facebook messenger run on it is what people want, not a Linux phone. People don't care

You know it can run Android right?

Not a fan of this phone, but like the idea they have behind it in terms of trying to add something new to the market. doubt it will be a success even if launched.

John Bauer-1363825

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

Not to mention if it retails for $725.

Lodmot

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
I'm actually a very big fan of Ubuntu and Linux in general, but I pretty much saw this coming. As awesome as this phone sounds, it doesn't exist yet, and people don't want to shell out nearly a grand for a phone they're getting in a year. I don't think this was one of Canonical's better ideas.

I was expecting more along the lines of them signing a deal with other phone manufacturers like Motorola, Samsung or LG to build a few different Ubuntu phone variations. That would've made more sense.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

I thought it was a great idea in principle. I'd probably pay the same price for a mid-high end phone if it ran Ubuntu vs. Android. Low-end devices can run desktop-mode applications on Ubuntu. Vs. cut-down crappy offerings on Android and iOS. Don't get me wrong, I love my android phone and tablets. But if I could choose between a phone running Android and its apps vs. a full-fledged Ubuntu install, I'd choose the ubuntu option (assuming, of course, the smartphone-esque features are not crippled in the process).

Where this failed is a very expensive developer phone running an OS that has not been vetted on mobile devices to any extent.

yobobjm

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
What I meant to say, is that I do very much like the OS. But this was not the way to take the world by storm. An $800 phone? They'd be much better of having other companies do their bidding rather than making their own phone. The market is already saturated with companies that make phones, just let them do all the work.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I'd reserve one, but I just bought a phone, ordered another, and I have console purchases waiting to happen too. Not making enough to keep up with my tech-enthusiasm.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I'd like to point out that with a minimum of 128GB storage, that price point seems to be well justified. For how much does iPhone 5 or S4 64GB retail? Only problem I can see is, if the phone runs ARM, the desktop seems kind of pointless, if not, great.

nadavp3

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
if they go x86, intel, and provide thunderbolt 2.0 connectivity, this phone will be the next big thing:
you could plug in any PC hardware that you need via the thunderbolt port, such as ... more storage, dedicated graphic card, Ethernet, all with a single cable, now thats handy

the spc isnt finalized yet, if they state thunderbolt 2.0 im in

shahrooz

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
People are full of what the media say to them, it's a 4.5 inch why should it be 1080p cause the media says 1080 is good. not so long ago we ongy had 1080p on +17" screens and now 1080p on 4.5 is a must?! the phone dual boots to andoid and ubuntu touch many people complain about Ubuntu touch like getochkn without even reading about the phone. it has 128Gb storage and you can attack external HDD via usb3 to it. it has 4GB of ram so it can give you a full desktop ecperience when it is attached to HDMI display. they have not yet chose a CPU/GPU because they want to do it right before starting production and they sayed they will choose the best based on benchmarking results. I really dont know what are people complaining about. this is not a phone this is a superphone. you wanted innovation, you were complaining about lack of innovation in phones and here it is innovation. now look at you...

I did read the article for those saying I didn't. Yes it can dual boot Android. Big deal. That just shows that they don't even have enough faith in the device to sell on it's own Ubuntu merits and have to shove Android in there too to try to appease people and get more sales. And really, what is that good for? You'd be in Android playing some games or apps, send some txt's, make some calls, boot to Ubuntu for whatever reason, get some more calls and txt's and nothing is synced now.

Yes you plug it into a TV and have a full desktop? Does the phone work then still? Running a full desktop is going to kill the battery so you'd have to power and the monitor plugged into it, maybe a hard drive too? Picking up an octopus phone full of cords to answer doesn't sound like fun.

It's hard enough to get app developers to make apps for the 3 version of phone OS's we have now, we don't need another one, especially one built on Linux, the OS that no one uses, despite anyone's claims.

dkant1n

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
getochkn, after reading the article I arrived to the same conclusion but think about a bluetooth headphone that you can have in your office or home to use when the phone is an octopus.

V1Dar

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
"Why would someone be willing to dump $800 into a smartphone that may never be commercially produced when great phones can be purchased for $300 right now?"

The price for an Ubuntu Edge phone is currently $775.

An Apple iPhone 5 with 64 GB costs $850. Max price for Ubuntu Edge with 128 GB is $830. Apart from that Ubuntu Edge will have the best multi-core processor available when produced, satire glass, and at least 4 GB RAM.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge--39/x/4167260

Ubuntu touch is designed to be simple and friendly to use, and has a simple and understandable user interface:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-PEWGwk03o

Ubuntu Edge also make it easy to use your phone as a full dekstop computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtNhlVn3ETQ&t=1m50s

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012

everyone keeps going on about the price, i think for what they are offering its a beast. not to mention, the iphone5 64gig for $850 is still just a fucking iphone and inherently rubbish. would happily put my money on the edge instead

Status
Not open for further replies.