USB Devices Randomly Disconnect/reconnect

handakes

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Hi there

i have a p8-z68-v Pro/GEN3 Asus motherboard and all of it's USB ports was working great ,that was until i got this Huawaii USB modem, things started to get weird..

whenever i connect this modem, usb Devices at the same usb rack as it ( the surrounding usb ports) start to randomly disconnect/reconnect after variable amount of time or that may happen to the usb modem itself..

what i mean is, if i connect it to a USB 3.0 port alongside my 1TB external HDD in the USB 3.0 port right next to it, the HDD disconnects, reconnect and gives me the "autoplay" pop-up window like i just unplugged/replugged my HDD...and if i am downloading something on it, it's stops automatically..

i don't know whether this is a hardware or a software problem (it only started with this USB modem after all) but since if it was hardware, it would be much more serious, i wanted to clear that it's not first before going into further software inquiries, so i asked here..

thanks in Advance

Shawn221

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2013

This is a guess, but the modem might be drawing too much USB power, so the surrounding ports don't have enough to support the other devices. If you have a USB hub with an external power adapter, it would be the perfect thing to test it out with.

handakes

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
unfortunately, i don't have a USB hub to test out with, but thank you so much for the reply, according to your guess, i don't have to worry about this problem being originally due to a fault in my mobo..that's probably what i wanted to hear :)