Unable to screw in the standoff screws to the Antec GX 700?

tinnkie

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
I think this may be a first, but all of the holes for the motherboard standoffs screws do not fit in the hole of my case no matter how hard I try to screw them in.

Has anyone ever had this problem before?

computer_nugget2

Distinguished
hmmm weird, those standoffs came with the case right?

okay either A) the holes arent threaded, or B) the standoffs are too fat to fit.

if you have a nut driver, use it to thread the standoff into the hole. if not then you will need to go buy some standoffs that will fit.

villandra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
I just had an interesting experience with the standoffs on my Antec Sonata II case. Replaced stock CPU cooler with one that is held on with a screw-on bracket under the motherboard, and it was bowing my board. I went to computer store, manager said he never heard of such a problem.

I took the standoffs out and among other things measured them, and they don't meet the ATX specifications. ATX specification 2.1, in effect June 2002, years before my case was manufactured in 2006 according to QC date in the case, requires atleast 1/4 inch (or 6.5 mm) of clearance. My standoffs, not even close to 1/4 inch; I measured 5.5 mm. Went to Frys, got standard standoffs, they screw in just fine, they DO measure 6.5", and bowing problem solved.

Meanwhile I tried for almost a week to reach Antec's vaunted customer service. I called during their very limited phone customer service hours, and sat in Queue position 2 for 12 minutes. They don't even answer their phones. I submitted a ticket and it was ignored. I complained on Twitter and they said "phone us". I got an email that answered 1/3 of the questions I asked, told me to phone, and said they'd be glad to bill me for new standoff screws via paypal - but absolutely NO details on how to do that, and that was Friday.

One question he didn't ask is what are the specs on the motherboard screws, heh, heh, heh, wonder why he didn't answer that.

My guess is you also have a substandard case.

And I don't want to hear one word about Antec's vaunted whatever!

villandra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
The ATX standard also requires the holes in your case to be a certain size, so if yours aren't that size, right there, something is wrong. So either they sent you a cheap Chinese case, or the wrong cheap Chinese standoffs.