Dual GTX-460s (SLI) or Single GTX-660?

I'm looking at building a computer for some HD video editing, though nothing super high end (will be using Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11). I was planning on getting a GTX-660, but saw this deal today for GTX-460's and it got me thinking:

Would dual GTX-460s, linked through SLI, be better than a single GTX-660? It appears I could get two 460s for cheaper than one 660, so I'm wondering (I'm kind of new to the graphics card arena, so even benefits of SLI/Crossfire, etc are new to me).

Thoughts?

For reference: this is the build I'm looking to create (already have purchased the mobo, memory, and case). My mobo supports either Crossfire or SLI, so it wouldn't be a problem there.
3 answers Last reply
More about dual gtx 460s sli single gtx 660
  1. dpack77 said:
    I'm looking at building a computer for some HD video editing, though nothing super high end (will be using Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11). I was planning on getting a GTX-660, but saw this deal today for GTX-460's and it got me thinking:

Would dual GTX-460s, linked through SLI, be better than a single GTX-660? It appears I could get two 460s for cheaper than one 660, so I'm wondering (I'm kind of new to the graphics card arena, so even benefits of SLI/Crossfire, etc are new to me).

Thoughts?

For reference: this is the build I'm looking to create (already have purchased the mobo, memory, and case). My mobo supports either Crossfire or SLI, so it wouldn't be a problem there.

My answer would be no, and the reason for that is. I personally dont like dual card setups, I had 2 660 TI's before I upgraded to a single 780. Now 2 of those was either the same or just a little better than my 780, but my case was a lot more hotter, louder, more power consumption. And I personally just dont like SLI setups, because of the fact that most of the games I played didnt even support it. I would go with the single 660. As a 660 vs a 460, the 660 beats it by about 50-60% in overall performance.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/542?vs=660
  2. abCasPeRR said:
    dpack77 said:

Thoughts?

My answer would be no, and the reason for that is. I personally dont like dual card setups, I had 2 660 TI's before I upgraded to a single 780. Now 2 of those was either the same or just a little better than my 780, but my case was a lot more hotter, louder, more power consumption. And I personally just dont like SLI setups, because of the fact that most of the games I played didnt even support it. I would go with the single 660. As a 660 vs a 460, the 660 beats it by about 50-60% in overall performance.

Excellent. That's what I suspected. Thanks!
  3. dpack77 said:
    abCasPeRR said:
    dpack77 said:

Thoughts?

Excellent. That's what I suspected. Thanks!

No problem. Have a good one!
Ask a new question

Read More

GTX-660 Computers SLI Dual Graphics Gtx Video Editing GTX-460